Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply to the University of Wyoming apply now

Global Resource Navigation

Visit Campus
Download UW Viewbook
Give to UW

International Employee Hire Checklist


__ International Student Services (ISS) Check

All non U.S. citizens and/or permanent residents must first confirm their immigration status and/or employment eligibility with International Student Services (Knight Hall, Room 241) prior to beginning any employment at the University of Wyoming. These potential employees must bring relevant original travel/employment documents (i.e., valid passport, I-94, I-20/DS-2019, Resident Alien Card (Green Card), or I-797 (Approval Notice) to ISS for review prior to initiating the I-9 process.

__ I-9: Due no later than your first working day or your reporting date.

The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 makes it unlawful for the University of Wyoming to hire any individual who has not complied with the law's verification requirement.  All international employees MUST go to International Student Services (ISS), Knight Hall, Room 241, first before completing their I-9. Complete Section I of the Electronic Form I-9 ON or BEFORE your 1st day worked by logging into HRMS Self-Service (Main Menu>Self-Service>Personal Information>Form I-9).  Once Section I of the Electronic Form I-9 is completed, you have 3 business days from your start date to complete Section II of the Electronic Form I-9, which is completed by HR at our office - located in Wyoming Hall room 139.  Please see the List of Acceptable Documents if necessary.  To complete an I-9 form, international employees must submit original documents that establish employment authorization (passport, I-94 and I-20).  For more information or questions contact the Human Resources Department at (307) 766-5604 or

__ Social Security Number: Due ASAP

All potential UW employees must have a valid U.S. Social Security Number. Applications for a Social Security Number can be obtained from International Student Services (Knight Hall, Room 241). On-line applications are also acceptable, and can be found at To get an original number and card, you'll need to complete an Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5), and show documents that prove your age, identity, U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status.

The process of receiving your permanent number and card can take anywhere from six to eight weeks. In the meantime, you will be assigned a temporary Social Security number by Human Resources or the Campus Express office. It is imperative that you bring your permanent number to Human Resources or Payroll Office as soon as you receive it.

 __ Visa Applications/Fees

Non-immigrants that have questions regarding a change to their current visa status are urged to check with International Student Services (Knight Hall, Room 241) prior to making arrangements for any change in employment.  Also any change in the visa should be brought to Human Resources for updating your status.  Please Note:  Visa fees and immigration petition fees are the responsibility of the individual and not the University of Wyoming. 

__ Tax Information

All International Employees must contact the Tax Office, Room 401, Old Main, prior to receiving their first paycheck to determine their status regarding United States taxes.  The United States has tax treaties with several countries that reduce tax rates on certain types of income. Tax treaty information is available.  Exemption from taxes is not automatic.  Make an appointment with Casey Green (307) 766-2821 to review your tax situation and fill out any required paperwork to claim tax treaty benefits you may be entitled to.    

__ Retirement - Enrollment is due within 31 days of eligibility.  Eligibility is the first day of the month following the date of hire (benefited employees only).

State law requires all benefited UW employees to participate in either the Wyoming Retirement System or TIAA-CREF. Since there is a choice of programs, employees must determine in which they will be enrolled and sign up accordingly. More retirement information is available. Employees may complete the enrollment papers during employee orientation or deliver to Human Resources located in Room 139, Wyoming Hall, (307) 766-2437. 

__ Insurance -Enrollment is due within 31 days of eligibility.  Eligibility is the first day of the month following the date of hire (benefited employees only).

Health, dental and life insurance is available for benefited UW employees. Contact the Employee Benefits Office in Human Resources, 141 Wyoming Hall, (307) 766-2438. You must enroll in the plans to have coverage or waive the option in writing.


__ WyoOne ID Card

The WyoOne ID card is your University identification card. It allows you to write checks on campus, use library services, apply for a parking permit, access recreational facilities (purchased separately), and to receive a discount on athletic tickets (restrictions apply). It can also be used as a debit card for on-campus purchases. Spouses and dependent children are eligible for a card. Contact the WyoOne ID Office in Knight Hall, Room 28 or (307) 766-5267.

__ Direct Deposit

Direct Deposit is available for all UW employees. Contact the Payroll Office, Wyoming Hall 139, (307) 766-2217.

__ Parking Permits

Vehicle and motorcycle parking permits are available to employees. Contact Transit and Parking Services, 462 N 10th St, (307) 766-9800.

__ Campus Recreation Membership

Campus Recreation membership includes the use of free and machine weights, climbing wall, running track, multi-use hardwood courts, cardio machines, pools, and the intramural sports, club sports, and the Outdoor Adventure Program services. A variety of classes are available. Membership requires semester or annual fee payment. For more information or to sign up stop by the Half Acre service window in the main lobby of the building or call (307) 766-5586.

__ Supplemental Retirement Plan - (benefited employees)

The state contributes $20 (matching) toward tax sheltered supplemental retirement plans.

__ Computer Accounts and Email Addresses

Information about computer accounts is available online at

Administrative computer accounts (Banner - Student Information System, PSHRMS - Human Resource Management System, PISTOL and BSR Advance) are requested by submitting the appropriate Account Action Form online at  or by contacting the Access Management Office by phone at (307) 766-5747 or by email at A UWYO domain account is required to request an administrative computer account.

__ Telephone Service

To obtain a new UW telephone line contact the IT Telecom Help Desk at (307) 766-4357, option 2. More information about telephone service, telephone sets, telephone features, etc., is available online at

__ Training & Professional Development

A wide range of personal and professional development opportunities are available, free of charge, to all UW employees. Examples of topics are supervisor development, communication, teamwork, time management, safety, and defensive driving (to fulfill UW requirements and to possibly reduce your insurance rates). There is a regular schedule of course offerings, online courses that can be taken anytime at your convenience, and special sessions can be developed and conducted throughout the state. For more information, contact the Training and Development Office at (307) 766-3521 or visit HR Professional Development.

Share This Page:

Contact Us

Human Resources - Employment

Campus: 139 Wyoming Hall

1000 E University Ave Dept 3422

Laramie, WY

Office Hours: Monday - Friday

Regular: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Summer: 7:30 am - 4:30 pm

Phone: 307.766.5604

Fax: 307.766.5607


1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Twitter Icon Youtube Icon Instagram Icon Facebook Icon

Accreditation | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Gainful Employment | Privacy Policy | Accessibility Accessibility information icon