Some of the content on this website requires JavaScript to be enabled in your web browser to function as intended. While the website is still usable without JavaScript, it should be enabled to enjoy the full interactive experience.

Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Faculty and Graduate Student Travel Policies

Faculty and Graduate Student Travel Facts

The Emergency Communications Protocol should be used when issues arise when you are working abroad.  This is especially important if you are leading a faculty-led course abroad for UW.    

  • Insurance Coverage for Faculty on Foreign Sabbatical Leave Faculty with at least 80 hours of paid time each month and who maintain a residence in the U.S. will have continued health insurance coverage under CIGNA.  However, bills and other documentation for health coverage in other countries must be translated and submitted to CIGNA in order for them to be reimbursed.  Therefore, faculty may have larger out of pocket expenses while on foreign sabbatical than usual.  Filling out the Foreign Travel Notification discussed above will ensure access to a deposit to a hospital or advance of up to $10,000 to pay medical bills.  Those funds have to be paid back to the company within 45 days from proceeds of your health insurance.  The insurance provided by the Notification will also provide medical monitoring services to monitor your condition or the condition of your dependents when injured/sick and determine if evacuation is necessary. It will arrange and pay for evacuation if determined necessary and will pay for one person to accompany the injured person.  It will help arrange for the transport/evacuation of other family members but will not pay for more than the injured individual and one accompanying family member.  They also provide other assistance such as translation services for medical situations, doctor referral, etc. for both you and your dependents while overseas.    They will only pay if they have been contacted and have assisted in arranging or authorized services. 


  • Per-diem for UW International Travel : UW's travel policy allows faculty, staff, and administrators to use the US State Department per diem for that country for purposes of accounting.   For more information on UW's travel policy, go to Accounts Payable and follow the Quick Link "New Travel Information and Forms" (note - you need to create an Accounts Payable channel on WyoWeb to obtain the forms.)     


  • Countries with Travel Warnings Posted: UW strongly advises that you not travel to countries where the U.S. Department of State prohibits travel as there is usually a draw-down of US Embassy and Consular personnel.  If you are already on a research trip when a Travel Warning is issued, please let UW know of your safety and whereabouts, and whether we can assist you. Faculty-led programs to countries on the Warning list are automatically suspended.  For more information on suspension and ways to appeal, read the UW Study Abroad and Exchange Protocols and Policies above.

Share This Page:

Footer Navigation

University of Wyoming Medallion
1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071 // UW Operators (307) 766-1121 // Contact Us // Download Adobe Reader // Accessibility Accessibility information icon