1000 East University Avenue
Laramie, WY 82072
Phone: (307) 766-3423
Fax: (307) 766-3533
The Global & Area Studies Program hosts a variety of events through collaborations across campus, with the Wyoming Humanities Council, and through the support of a Department of Education grant. The Global & International Studies Scholars Lectures Series promotes discussion among Wyoming citizens of important global issues by bringing renown speakers to the UW campus and locations across Wyoming.
Consumer Issues Conference 2014 - October 8-10, 2014 at the Wyoming Union of the University of Wyoming
Check out the conference details and agenda at
Global Studies in Film - Featuring the film iThemba with discussion led by the film’s producer Dr. Elinor Burkett, UW Senior Visiting Scholar in Global Studies
Imagine a country like Zimbabwe where more people die of AIDS, malnutrition and lack of medical care each week than are killed in Afghanistan, Iraq or Darfur. Where hospitals operate without doctors, urban neighborhoods suffer months without water, and unemployment tops 90 percent. Then imagine navigating that country from a wheelchair, without functioning hands, or with some other disability in a culture where the disabled are seen as cursed. You don't have to imagine. iThemba takes you there in a rich verite tapestry about the band Liyana, eight edgy young musicians who negotiate their country's chaotic political waters, economic collapse and deep-seated prejudices with humor and grit. The films producer, Dr. Elinor Burkett, is the Senior Visiting Scholar in Global Studies at the University of Wyoming for Fall 2014. An experienced university professor and journalist, she has lived or worked in 13 countries and currently divides her time between homes in Zimbabwe and upstate New York. She’s been telling stories for four decades, from Cuba to Mongolia and Kyrgyzstan to Zimbabwe, as a historian and documentary filmmaker, a reporter for the Miami Herald, in nine books of non-fiction, and scores of articles in America’s leading magazines. For more information about the film visit: http://loliandrex.com/.
- Monday, September 22, Western Wyoming College in Rock Springs, Room 1309 at 6 p.m.
- Weds, September 24, Northwest College in Powell – Performing Arts Auditorium at 6 p.m.
- Thursday, September 25, Central Wyoming College, Riverton – Health and Science Center (HS 100) at 6 p.m.
- Friday, September 26, Jackson Center for the Arts Theater at 6 p.m.
- Friday, October 2, Casper College – Wheeler Concert Hall (MU105) at 6 p.m.
- Thursday, November 6, Laramie County Public Library Cottonwood Room, Cheyenne at 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 19, University of Wyoming, Laramie, Business Auditorium at 6:30 pm