Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply to the University of Wyoming apply now

Global Resource Navigation

Visit Campus
Download UW Viewbook
Give to UW

Student Employment

An Overview of International Student Employment

The United States has very strict rules regarding the ability of foreign nationals to work in the United States.  It is important to note that U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) will enforce civil and criminal penalties against those who work without the appropriate authorization and employers who fail to verify employment eligibility. Illegal employment is a deportable offense. Therefore, it is very important that international students understand the regulations governing employment eligibility.

Questions about employment eligibility should be directed to staff in International Students and Scholars, Cheney International Center, Suite 5, 1-307-766-5193, prior to the commencement of any employment opportunity.

Definition of Employment vs. Volunteering

Work authorization requirements for common student visa types


Types of Student Employment

Types of Employment for F-1 Students

On-campus J-1 Student Work Authorization

On-campus Employment

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

J-1 Academic Training

Severe Economic Hardship

Share This Page:

Contact Us

University of Wyoming International Students and Scholars

Department 3228

1000 E. University Avenue

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: 307-766-5193


Find us on Facebook (Link opens a new window)

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Twitter Icon Youtube Icon Instagram Icon Facebook Icon

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Gainful Employment | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon