Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply to the University of Wyoming apply now

Global Resource Navigation

Visit Campus
Download UW Viewbook
Give to UW

On-campus Employment

On-campus employment for students in both J and F student visa statuses has very similar regulations. Generally, it

  1. Does not require authorization from USCIS.
  2. Requires that the student must be in a full course of study and in good academic standing.
  3. Requires that on-campus employment primarily means work performed on UW's premises and not work for a different commercial firm on-campus that isn't providing services for students.
  4. Is limited to 20 hours/week while school is in session and full-time (40 hours/week) during vacation periods.
  5. Is not permitted after student has completed studies (graduated)
  6. Requires that students in J visa status must get written authorization to work from their sponsoring agency if not UW.
  7. Requires that students in J visa status receive approval from ISS before beginning work so that the SEVIS system can be updated appropriately. (J-1 ap doc link)
  8. Does not require students in F visa status to receive approval from ISS or USCIS.

UW Human Resources allows a student to work until the program end date given on their I-20 or DS-2019 document. If an I-20 or DS-2019 documents is extended, the student must take the updated form to Human Resources to have their record updated.  In order to comply with Federal regulations HR and ISS will monitor all international students and report any violation of the follow conditions to HR so that UW employment can be terminated:

  • While classes are in session, the student cannot work more than 20 hours combined for all positions held with UW.
  • The student must maintain full-time enrollment.
  • The student cannot work past his/her actual graduation date unless he/she has obtained an extended status through ISS and has provided the documentation to HR, or has obtained a special work authorization document from USCIS such as OPT or hardship work authorization.


*Please note that violation of either of the first two conditions will result in termination of the student’s SEVIS record/immigration status.

All international students employed on campus must complete an I-9 at the UW Human Resources department (139 Wyo Hall) before beginning work. The student will need to have his/her passport, I-20/DS-2019, and I-94 documents. Students in J visa status must also bring written authorization for employment from the sponsoring agency.

Consult with ISS for more information if you have questions about on-campus employment for international students.


Share This Page:

Contact Us

University of Wyoming International Students and Scholars

Department 3228

1000 E. University Avenue

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: 307-766-5193


Find us on Facebook (Link opens a new window)

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Twitter Icon Youtube Icon Instagram Icon Facebook Icon

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Gainful Employment | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon