Some of the content on this website requires JavaScript to be enabled in your web browser to function as intended. While the website is still usable without JavaScript, it should be enabled to enjoy the full interactive experience.

Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

International Students and Scholars

On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment for students in both J and F visa statuses has very similar regulations. Generally, it

  1. Does not require permission from USCIS
  2. Requires that the student must be in a full course of study and in good academic standing.
  3. Requires that on-campus employment primarily means work performed on UW's premises and not work for a different commercial firm on-campus that isn't providing services for students.
  4. Is limited to 20 hours/week while school is in session and full-time (40 hours/week) during vacation periods.
  5. Is not permitted after student has completed studies.
  6. Requires that students in J visa status must get written authorization to work from their sponsoring agency.

Students will be eligible to work for the duration of the student's status which coincides with their anticipated completion of study as listed on their I-20 or DS-2019 document. In order to comply with Federal regulations HR and ISS will be monitoring all international students on the three conditions listed below:

  • While classes are in session, the student cannot work more than 20 hours combined for all positions held with UW.
  • The student must be a full-time student and be in good academic standing.
  • The student cannot work past his/her actual graduation date unless he/she has obtained an extended visa status through ISS and has provided the documentation to HR.

All international students employed on campus must complete an I-9 at the UW Human Resources department (139 Wyo Hall) before beginning to work. The student will need to have his/her passport, I-20, and I-94 documents. Students in J visa status must bring his/her passport, DS-2019, I-94 card and copy of written authorization for employment from the sponsoring agency.

Consult with ISS for more information if you have questions about on-campus employment for international students.

Share This Page:

Footer Navigation

University of Wyoming Medallion
1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071 // UW Operators (307) 766-1121 // Contact Us // Download Adobe Reader // Accessibility Accessibility information icon