Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply to the University of Wyoming

Global Resource Navigation

Give to UW
Download UW Viewbook
Visit Campus

International Students and Scholars

Affiliating with a UW Department or Program under the Exchange Visitor (J-1) Visa

On a regular basis, University of Wyoming faculty and staff have the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues from other countries around the globe. If you are interested in such a collaboration and coming to UW, you will need a University of Wyoming faculty or staff member to sponsor you. Please refer to the University of Wyoming home page for links to our academic faculty, departments, and programs.

It is important for you to understand that there are both U.S. federal immigration regulations and University policies to be followed, whether you, as the visitor will be paid by a research grant, by University funds, personal funding, or some type of combination.

Generally, you will enter the United States on a J-1 (exchange visitor) visa as either a visiting research scholar or visiting faculty. The UW sponsoring faculty member will complete a special form from International Students and Scholars called a "J-1 Request Form." The form requires various types of information from both the prospective exchange visitor and the department. If you will be coming here on your own funds, you will need to provide your UW faculty sponsor with documentation showing the source of the funding which indicates how much is available for the duration of the stay. This information is required by federal regulation. The form is then approved by the faculty member, their department head, and academic dean.

Once all of the approvals have been obtained and forwarded to International Students and Scholars, we will prepare a document called a DS-2019. The DS-2019 will be used by you to obtain the J-1 visa from an American embassy/consulate in your home country. Once the DS-2019 has been prepared it will be given to the UW faculty member or department so it can be mailed directly to you.

It is recommended that the necessary forms be completed at least 90 days in advance of the visit. Stays can be as short as a few days or as long as 5 years, depending upon the interests and needs of the University of Wyoming faculty sponsor, and the approval of the appropriate university officials.

If for any reason you decide NOT to come to the U.S., notify both the department that had agreed to sponsor you and International Students and Scholars.

Using Form DS-2019 to Obtain a J Visa Stamp
Once you've received your DS-2019 from UW and in order to enter the United States as a J-1 Exchange Visitor, you must do the following:

Read all of Page 2 of the DS-2019 and complete the certification found on the bottom of Page 1 if you agree to the statement in Item 2 on Page 2 of the DS-2019.

To apply for a J-1 visa, you must:

  • pay the $180 SEVIS fee at;
  • apply for your visa appointment at a US Embassy or Consulate;
  • submit any information required for your visa interview;
  • your passport and the passports of any family members applying for J-2 visas;
  • any additional items (applications, fees, photographs, etc.), required by the U.S. embassy or consulate at which you will apply. Contact the embassy or consulate directly to inquire about any additional items needed; and
  • If you will receive financial support from any organization other than UW during your stay in the U.S., be prepared to show proof of this funding to the consular official.

Depending upon the workload at the embassy/consulate, it may take a few hours or a few weeks to receive an interview for your visa. If the J-1 visa is approved, the consular officer will return your passport containing your new J-1 visa stamp, the passports of any of your dependents with J-2 visa stamps and all DS-2019s.

Upon your arrival at the University of Wyoming, you are required to report to International Students and Scholars so that your arrival can be noted in the Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) which officially begins your program at UW.

Share This Page:

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Twitter Icon Youtube Icon Instagram Icon Vimeo Icon Facebook Icon

Accreditation | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Gainful Employment | Privacy Policy | Accessibility Accessibility information icon