Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply to the University of Wyoming apply now

Global Resource Navigation

Visit Campus
Download UW Viewbook
Give to UW

Information for the Exchange Scholar

Upon arrival in Laramie:

Please come to International Students and Scholars with your passport and immigration documents, including dependent information if appropriate, immediately after your arrival in Laramie so that we can report your arrival in SEVIS as required. You will meet with an ISS representative to review important immigration and cultural information.

What if I am delayed in arriving?

Please notify ISS by email at if your arrival will be delayed.  

Responsibilities while an Exchange Visitor:

  • Address Updates – Federal Regulations require exchange visitors to notify ISS of any changes of address within 10 days.  You can do this in person, in ISS, or by emailing the new address to  Your cooperation in this matter is expected and required.
  • Travel outside of the US
    • Visit ISS to have your DS-2019 signed before you travel outside of the US.
    • After you return, please bring us your updated I-94 and passport/visa.
    • Don’t forget, if you travel outside of the US, you will need a valid US visa to reenter the United States (there are a few exceptions – see ISS staff).  
  • Notify ISS of date and reason for departure.
  • Notify ISS if dependents leave early.
  • Report other program changes to ISS (i.e., funding, location, department, etc.).
  • Consult with ISS about additional employment questions. Any employment opportunities from the activity described on your DS-2019 would need to be reviewed and authorized by ISS in advance.
  • Apply for program extensions prior to the DS-2019 program end date.
  • Depart the United States within the 30-day grace period.
  • Ensure you have medical insurance which meets the US federal guidelines as required by the US Department of State.
    • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per person, per accident or illness
    • At least $25,000 for repatriation of remains
    • $50,000 minimum for expenses associated with medical evacuation
    • A policy secured to fulfill the insurance requirements shall not have a deductible that exceeds $500 per accident or illness, and must meet other standards specified in the regulations.
    • Further, you should be aware that all exchange visitors and any accompanying spouse and dependent(s) may also be subject to the requirements of the Affordable Care Act.
    • The regulations also state that "willful non-compliance to the regulation will result in termination of the exchange visitor's program".

Where can I get appropriate medical insurance?

UW has a policy available to international researchers/scholars, and their families, who are not employed in a benefited position by the school. Please contact Student Health Insurance Office for more information.

Individuals who are employed by UW in a “benefited” position may be eligible for the UW employee health insurance; the lowest deductible meets the Department of State's requirements if the deductible is lower than $500. Please note, however, this insurance does not provide for the Medical Evacuation or Repatriation as required above and must be purchased in addition to the UW employee insurance. Information about UW employee benefits are available online through the Benefits staff in Human Resources.

For a list of other insurance providers, including some who offer plans for repatriation and medical evacuation only, please contact ISS staff.

U.S. Social Security Numbers

A Social Security Number is required for researchers/scholars that are officially employed by UW. In this case, you will need to travel to Cheyenne and apply for one in person.  

Needed Documents:
  • Employer Letter from your department/employer on department letterhead. On-campus employers can use our form letter. Letter should be completed by the department where you are working.
  • Social Security Application, Form SS-5
  • ISS letter - Please bring in the employer letter and completed Social Security Application. 
  • I-20 or DS-2019
  • Passport/Visa
  • I-94 printout

The Social Security Administration office address in Cheyenne, Wyoming is 3001 E. Pershing Boulevard, Suite 140, Cheyenne, WY 82001.   

Requesting a DS-2019 for dependents:

Please complete a dependent invitation request and provide all necessary documentation. You must demonstrate at least $500 per month for the first dependent and an additional $325 per month for each additional dependent. Please note that any dependents (spouse or children) are also required to have health insurance that meets federal minimum requirements. These costs are in addition to the minimum amount of funding required per month.

You may also want to review the information for dependents, including information about local schools found in the International Students/Scholars Handbook.

Contact Us

University of Wyoming International Students and Scholars

Department 3228

1000 E. University Avenue

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: 307-766-5193


Find us on Facebook (Link opens a new window)

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Twitter Icon Youtube Icon Instagram Icon Facebook Icon

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Gainful Employment | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon