Corbett Building 119
1000 E. University Ave.
Laramie, WY 82071
Phone: (307) 766-5284
Fax: (307) 766-4098
Frequently, the culminating experience for Kinesiology majors is the Internship Experience. This component of the Kinesiology and Health program is designed to provide majors with an educational experience that will integrate theoretical ideas, gained from the Kinesiology program of studies, into practice. During the Internship Experience students can practice and test knowledge gained in the classroom as well as learn new practical skills. The Internship Experience is designed to provide students the opportunity to develop competencies that are necessary to assume professional responsibilities in public, private, corporate, community, and/or academic settings. The Internship Experience should help students meet their professional goals.
The following are principles and guidelines that should be used when selecting and planning your Internship Experience.
1. The student should play an active role in selecting the Internship Experience site.
2. The student should play an active role in planning the Internship Experience.
3. The student should select the internship site based on his/her professional goals.
4. The Internship Experience should meet the "real" needs of the agency in terms of needs assessment, program planning, implementation, and evaluation.
5. The Internship Experience should be designed to provide the student with a wide variety of opportunities and experiences that are reflective of actual responsibilities of exercise and sport science professionals.
6. The Internship Experience should take place under the supervision and guidance of an individual who can create learning experiences out of actual work situations.
7. The internship supervisor should be knowledgeable in the student's area of specialization.
8. The student should be evaluated in terms of his/her (a) increased understanding, knowledge, skills, and abilities specific to the Internship Experience, and (b) contributions to the agency's program.