Welcome to the Toolkit for First-Year Seminar Instructors.
Whether you're teaching a First-Year Seminar for the first time, or have taught one for many years and are looking to add new dimensions to your class, we hope you'll find something helpful on this page. Some items in this toolkit are meant for you, the instructor. Others are meant for your students. - BUT, they'll all help students be more successful in their first semester.
If you have questions about anything in this list, or have a suggestion, please contact us - we'd love to hear from you!
- Academic Honesty
- Annotating Texts
- Critical Reading
- Dropping Versus Withdrawing
- Exam Types
- FERPA - What Students Should Know
- Financial Aid/Financial Wellness
- Fostering Community Engagement (a sample assignment)
- Healthy Relationships
- Helping Students Imagine More than a job
- IT Student Services
- Legal Stuff Students Should Know
- Math Placement
- Note-Taking Skills
- Study Skills
- Test Anxiety
- Time Management
- Wellness - Healthy Eating & Lifestyle