Sidebar Site Navigation
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Room 2075, Engineering Building
University of Wyoming
College of Engineering and Applied Science
Department of Mechanical Engineering
1000 E. University Avenue
Laramie, WY 82071
- B.S. Ceramic Engineering, New York State College of Ceramics at Alfred Univ., 1980
- M.S. Ceramic Science, Pennsylvania State University, 1984
- Ph.D. Ceramic Science, Pennsylvania State University, 1986
- Professor of Mech. Engr. – Univ. of Wyoming (1999-present)
- Assoc. Professor of Mech. Engr. – Univ. of Wyoming (1994-1999)
- Asst. Professor of Mech. Eng. – Univ. of Wyoming (1988 – 1994)
- Senior Scientist, INL, Idaho Falls, ID (1985 - 1988)
- Ceramic Engineer, Mobay Chemical, Balitmore, MD (1980 - 1981)
Structure-processing-property relationships in advanced engineering materials, mechanical behavior, chemical and thermal stability in harsh environments, stochastic modeling of material behavior, and application of continuous process improvement to materials production.
- “Stochastic Topology Model of Reinforcement Fabrics in Ceramic Matrix Composites,” D. N. Coon, in press, JANNAF Journal, 2009.
- “Stochastic Model of Crack Paths in Woven Ceramic Matrix Composites,” D. N. Coon, Journal of Materials Science, 42 (1), 2007, p. 66.,
- “Numerical Simulation of Creep failure of a SiC Fiber Tow,” F. M. MacDonald, D. N. Coon, J. of Mat. Sci. and Tech., 12 3-14 (2004).
- “Monte Carlo Simulation of Creep Crack Growth in a 0°/90° Plain Weave SiC Composite,” D. N. Coon, Journal of Materials Science, 38, 2003, p. 3121-3129.
- “Mirror/Mist Radius Constant for Y-Al-Si-O-N Glass,” Dennis N. Coon, Journal of Materials Science Letters, 21, p. 1121, 2002.
- “Simulation of Creep Crack Growth in Ceramic Composites,” P. Sodanapalli and D. N. Coon, Journal of Materials Science, 37, p. 4197 - 4202, 2002.
- “Monte Carlo Simulation of Fatigue of a Fiber Tow Undergoing Chemical Reaction,” D. N. Coon an A. M. Calomino, Journal of Materials Science, 36, pp. 2597-2605, 2001.
- “Numerical Investigation of the Effect of Variation of Fiber characteristics on the Reliability of Fibers in a Uniaxially Loaded Tow,” D. N. Coon, Journal of Materials Science and Technology, 9(2), pp. 3-14, 2001.
- “Monte Carlo Simulation of the Effect of Fiber Characteristics on the Steady State Creep Performance of a Fiber Tow,” F. MacDonald and D. N. Coon, Journal of Materials Science, 36, pp. 1681-1684, 2001.
- “Temperature Dependence of Strength and Fracture Toughness of Y-Al-Si-O-N Glass,” Dennis N. Coon, Journal of Materials Science Letters, 20, pp. 751-752, 2001.
- “Simulation of Composite Fatigue Resulting from Chemical Attack of Bridging Fibers,” D. N. Coon and A. Motkur, Journal of Materials Science, 35, pp. 3207-3214, 2000.