COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING AND APPLIED SCIENCE
- Ph.D. in Mathematics, University of Wyoming, 2010
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Technical University of Munich, 2005
- Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering, University of Wyoming, 2012-current
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Applied Science, Delft University of Technology, 2010-2012
- Graduate Research Assistant, Mathematics, University of Wyoming, 2005-2010
- Graduate Research Assistant , Technical University of Munich, 2001-2004
Research Interests Research is focused in the areas of modeling and simulation of turbulent and reactive flows. Methods include probability density function (PDF) models for Reynolds Averaged Navier-Stokes (RANS) and Large Eddy Simulation (LES) approaches and their coupling with radiative heat transfer. Applications include premixed gaseous combustion, clean combustion concepts such as flameless combustion and oxy-fuel combustion of alternative fuels, coal combustion and gasification, and soot formation in ultra rich combustion. Hybrid LES/RANS methods which allow to extend LES to high Re-number wall bounded flows are also of interest and applied to predict performance of wind turbine blades. The models and methods are implemented in in-house codes or in a open source CFD code (OpenFOAM).
- Stoellinger M., Gopalan, H., Kazemi Foroushani E., .and Heinz, S. (2013), Atmospheric Boundary Layer Studies with Unified RANS-LES and Dynamic LES Methods, In 51st AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Grapevine, TX, AIAA Paper 13-0747.
- Gopalan, H., Heinz S. and Stoellinger, M. (2012), A Unified RANS-LES Model: Computational Development, Accuracy and Cost, Journal of Computational Physics, accepted for publication.
- Stoellinger, M., Roekaerts, D., Naud, B., Beishuizen, N. and Heinz, S. (2012), PDF Modeling and Simulations of Pulverized Coal Combustion -Part 1: Theory and Modeling, Combustion and Flame, Vol. 160, 384-395.
- Stoellinger, M., Roekaerts, D., Naud, B., Beishuizen, N. and Heinz, S. (2012), PDF Modeling and Simulations of Pulverized Coal Combustion -Part 2: Application, Combustion and Flame, 160, 396-410.
- Stoellinger, M. K. & Heinz, S. 2010 Evaluation of Scalar Mixing and Time Scale Models in PDF Simulations of a Turbulent Premixed Flame. Combust. Flame 157, 1671-1685.
- Stoellinger, M. K., Zemtsop, C. P., Gopalan, H. & Heinz, S. 2010 Realizable Unified RANS-LES Simulations of Swirling and Non-Swirling Turbulent Jets. In: 48th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Orlando, FL, AIAA Paper 10-1289.
- Zemtsop, C. P., Stoellinger, M. K., Heinz, S. & Stanescu, D. 2009 Large Eddy Simulation of Swirling Turbulent Jet Flows in Absence of Vortex Breakdown. AIAA Journal 47, 3011-3021.
- Stoellinger, M. K. & Heinz, S. 2008 PDF Modeling and Simulation of Premixed Turbulent Combustion. Monte Carlo Methods Applic. 14, 343-377.