Link to Your Future
Department of Modern & Classical Languages
MCL: A Vital Link to Your Future
Our Department unites some of the best teachers in the world.
What makes us so good?
- Target language teaching. You can't learn a second language if the instructor teaches in English. That is why our classes stress immersion techniques. You'll be speaking the target language during the first class! Imagine what you will learn after just one semester!
- Variety. Students can learn a second language and start a third and even a fourth before graduating. Check out our programs in Spanish, French, German, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Latin, and more!
- Flexibility. Study abroad, when it makes sense for you. You may study abroad with a group or, if you want the ultimate academic challenge, study individually in another country. Students may spend their third or fourth year abroad. No senior year restriction! As long as the foreign coursework relates to literature, language, or culture, the credits will likely transfer to our language programs. Coursework taken in other areas may transfer to the corresponding discipline at UW.
- Low student-teacher ratio. We offer the intimacy of the world's most exclusive classrooms, for a fraction of the tuition cost. Our courses are small and typically range from 5 to 25 students. Outside class, faculty members take time to develop individual relationships with students. We care about you. Office hours, conversation tables, trips, emails, and even chats while walking from one building to another are routine elements of our personal attention to each learner.
- Expert faculty. Our faculty is richly experienced and highly skilled. On campus, the Department ranks in the top percentiles for total number of teaching awards and for outstanding teaching evaluations. We offer some of the most intellectually challenging courses at UW, and our evaluation statistics prove it.
- Best students. If you want to sit in a classroom of tomorrow's leaders, take our upper-level courses. Students who attain this advanced proficiency compete successfully with the best minds in the world. Our graduates include Fulbright recipients and the top 1% of scorers on standardized placement tests for graduate school.
21st-century skills require at least two languages. The Department of Modern and Classical Languages will help you study your second language, or third or fourth.
Check out the languages offered in our department.
Don't delay. Get started now and enjoy the benefits of being bilingual.