Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now
Visit Campus
Download UW Viewbook
Give to UW

Language Requirements for Non-Majors

Department of Modern & Classical Languages

Villena Bridge in front of the ocean in Lima, Peru

Per A&S requirements, bachelor of arts and bachelor of science candidates must have completed at least eight semester hours of work in a modern or classical language. Normally, completing courses 1010 and 1020 (first and second semester) in a single language satisfies this requirement. The requirement may also be satisfied by appropriate scores on the placement test given each semester by the department or suffiently high scores on nationally administered language tests, such as CLEP.

Testing Out of Language Requirements

Students who have done satisfactory work in high school language courses may be granted college credit after taking a written examination administered by the department; please see the Credit by Exam page for more information.

Testing Into a Language Class

Those who do not wish college credit for previous language study should register in classes appropriate to their level of training. Normally, those with two years of a foreign language in high school enter 1020 (second semester) of that language, while those with three years of such study enter 2030 (third-semester).

Teaching Certification

Students registered in the College of Arts and Sciences may obtain teaching certification by electing certain courses in the College of Education. Such students should consult with the head of the language department during their sophomore year to make the necessary course selections.

Native Language Credit

Students with a native language other than English will not receive University credit for language courses below the 4000-level in their native language.

Languages and Other Academic Programs

Growing numbers of degrees combine languages with such fields as political science, business, engineering, agriculture, economics and computer science.

Undergraduates contemplating advanced work in all fields should remember that some graduate schools require a reading knowledge of at least one foreign language for admission. Therefore, they should plan to study a foreign language in their undergraduate years to avoid delaying progress toward an advanced degree.

Graduate schools routinely accept French, German or Russian; substitution of another language is sometimes permitted.


Contact Us

Modern & Classical Languages

Hoyt Hall 126

Dept. 3603

1000 E. University Ave

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: 307-766-4176

Fax: 307-766-2727


Find us on Facebook (Link opens a new window) Find us on Twitter (Link opens a new window) Find us on YouTube (Link opens a new window)

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon