Sidebar Site Navigation
How To Apply
Step 1: APPLY to the University of Wyoming.
Admission to the graduate program requires acceptance by both the UW Graduate Admissions AND the Music Department.
UW Graduate admission is contingent upon meeting the following requirements (the GRE is not required):
- A bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution of higher learning
- A Grade Point Average of 3.0 or higher (A = 4.0) on all previous work
- Three letters of recommendation sent by persons knowledgeable of the applicant’s qualifications for graduate study
- Personal Statement, which includes why you are applying and what you will do with your degree
- Submission of original transcripts of all previous work.
Step 2: APPLY to the Department of Music.
Master of Music Education Admission Requirements:
- An earned Bachelor of Music Education
degree from an accredited institution of higher learning, plus:
- One year of teaching experience in music education
- Video of classroom teaching and/or rehearsing
- One to three page statement of music education philosophy
- Three letters of recommendation, including one from an immediate supervisor, on teaching effectiveness
Master of Music in Performance Admission Requirements:
- An earned Bachelor of Music
Performance degree from an accredited institution of higher learning, plus:
- One to three page personal statement on why you are applying and what you plan to do with your degree
- A live
audition or a CD, DVD, or VHS tape of your performances, demonstrating:
- Strong sense of musicality
- Technical proficiency
- Stylistically correct performance practices in at least 3 historical periods, where applicable
- Standard repertoire from your instrumental specialty or vocal area
Step 3: APPLY for a Graduate Assistantship and a Music Scholarship.
Please see the Graduate Education page and the Music Graduate Handbook for additional information. Please visit the Scholarship Information Page for detail about the audition and scholarship application process.
- Graduate Assistantships are awarded based on:
- Ability (current level of accomplishment and potential)
- Music Department and Ensemble needs
- Academic success
- Collegiality and academic integrity
For UW Admissions and Department of Music graduate application information, please contact:
1000 E. University Ave.
Laramie, WY 82071
(307)766-5160 / (800)DIAL-WYOhttp://www.uwyo.edu/admissions/graduate/
|University of Wyoming
Department of Music
1000 E. University Avenue
Laramie, WY 82071