Sidebar Site Navigation
We recommend Audacity for the purposes of creating and editing audio files. It is free, open source, cross-platform and extremely easy. The information below should help you work your way through the installation and use of Audacity. Please contact us if you have any questions.
Installation of Audacity & LAME MP3 Encoder
You need to install Audacity for the purposes of editing audio files. The LAME MP3 Encoder must be installed to export your audio file as the recommended MP3 file for distribution.
- Installing Audacity and LAME MP3 encoder on a Windows Computer (3:52): http://youtu.be/jO5NDLUuZOI
- Installing Audacity and LAME MP3 encoder on a Macintosh Computer (3:28): http://youtu.be/qmhd7ltZ8CY
- Instructions for installing the LAME MP3 Encoder: Windows & Mac
- Download Audacity Web page
- Download LAME Encoder
Creating an Audio File using Audacity
- YouTube Video: http://youtu.be/EL-Qbb4XsJw
- Recording an audio file using Audacity (PDF Handout): Recording_Audacity.pdf
- Advanced Recording with Audacity (PDF Handout): Audacity.pdf
Distribution of Audio Files
- How to upload a audio file to eCollege -
- How to upload a podcast to UW's iTunesU - UploadingtoiTunes.pdf