Department of Philosophy
College of Arts & Sciences
UW Philosophy Department Excellence Fund
Support the Philosophy Department
Why donate to the UW Philosophy Department?
Throughout the years the Philosophy Department has been a department of accomplishment while operating with very modest resources. We are asking for your help to provide additional assistance to make the learning experience of our students even richer and more rewarding. With your gift, you can make a difference. Here are some of the ways we will use your gift:
- To provide scholarships for our outstanding majors. Currently, we are one of the few units in the College of Arts and Sciences that does not give scholarships to its undergraduates. We are especially concerned to reward our students midstream, in their sophomore and junior years.
- To support our Graduate Student Speaker Series. This series gives our graduate students exposure to the current work of graduate students in the area, provides our graduate students with practice at presenting their own work in a setting like a professional conference presentation, and helps the department to deepen its connections with regional universities. Our students are participating in these conferences, not merely attending them. They are presenters of their own papers, or commentators. The graduate students have been very successful at gaining acceptance of their papers at prestigious national conferences.
- To support our Department Colloquia Series. We utilize our modest resources as effectively as possible by bringing in faculty from the region and expand the range of perspectives accessible not only for our own students, but for other students in the university community. The Department Colloquia also helps to deepen our connections with regional universities, and this has real benefit for our students. Last year we brought up Philip Cafaro, a specialist in environmental ethics, from Colorado State University. As a result of the relationship we established, Dr. Cafaro is now serving as the outside member on the thesis committee of one of our graduate students.
- To support Department Excellence Awards. At the end of each academic year, the faculty convene to award the department Book Prize to an outstanding graduate of the Philosophy program.
- To support our Visiting Philosopher Program. Once a year our goal is to bring a Philosopher of international stature to campus for a 3 day visit to give talks and meet with the undergraduate and graduate students. Clearly our foundation account is not, at this point, sufficient to support this, and so grants are necessary as well as support from other units within the University. Still, donations are an important part of this overall funding package. Some of the visiting philosophers we have hosted include Sir Peter Strawson, Richard Boyd, Alvin Goldman, Stephen Darwall, Margaret Wilson, Richard Rorty and George Sher.
How do I make my donation?
Make a gift online using your credit card through the university’s secure online giving site www.uwyo.edu/giveonline
- Go to www.uwyo.edu/giveonline.
- Select the amount you would like to give.
- In the Gift section, click what type of gift it is.
- Click under Gift Designation(s) to retrieve list.
- In pop-up box, choose a designation or "Other Fund Not Listed."
- Click Continue.
- If "Other Fund Not Listed," enter your designation in the box below.
- Continue filling out form as directed.
Give by Phone
To give by phone with your credit or debit card, call the University of Wyoming Foundation during normal business hours at (307) 766-6300 or toll-free (888) 831-7795.
Give by Mail
Please make your check payable to the University of Wyoming Foundation and indicate where you would like the funds to be applied (your designation).
University of Wyoming Foundation
Marian H. Rochelle Gateway Center
222 South 22nd Street
Laramie, Wyoming 82070-5204
Please contact the UW Department of Philosophy at (307) 766-3204 or firstname.lastname@example.org or the UW Foundation at (307) 766-6300 or toll-free (888) 831-7795 or email@example.com.
"Creating a better education one gift at a time"
specify the Philosophy Department