UW Philosophy Department Excellence Fund
Support the Philosophy Department
Why donate to the UW Philosophy Department?
Throughout the years the Philosophy Department has been a department of accomplishment while operating with very modest resources. We are asking for your help to provide additional assistance to make the learning experience of our students even richer and more rewarding. With your gift, you can make a difference. Here are some of the ways we will use your gift:
- To provide scholarships for our outstanding majors (currently we are one of the few units in the College of Arts and Sciences that does not give any scholarships to its undergraduates). We are especially concerned to reward our students midstream, in their sophomore and junior years.
- To support our new Graduate Student Speaker Series. This series gives our graduate students exposure to the current work of graduate students in the area, provides our graduate students with practice at presenting their own work in a setting like a professional conference presentation, and helps the department to deepen its connections with regional universities.
- To support travel of our undergraduates and graduate students to conferences and other educational and professional opportunities. Our students are participating in these conferences, not merely attending them. They are presenters of their own papers, or commentators. The graduate students have been very successful at gaining acceptance of their papers at prestigious national conferences. This year Jennifer Wright and John Bengson will each be presenting papers at the American Philosophical Association Divisional Meetings.
- To support our Department Colloquia with honorariums and travel for out of town speakers. We are trying to utilize our modest resources as effectively as possible by bringing in faculty from the region and expand the range of perspectives accessible not only for our own students, but for other students in the university community. The Department Colloquia also helps to deepen our connections with regional universities, and this has real benefit for our students. Last year we brought up Philip Cafaro, a specialist in environmental ethics, from Colorado State University. As a result of the relationship we established, Dr. Cafaro is now serving as the outside member on the thesis committee of one of our graduate students.
- To support Excellence Awards, such as the department Book Prize.
- To support our Visiting Philosopher Program. Once a year our goal is to bring a Philosopher of international stature to campus for a 3 day visit to give talks and meet with the undergraduate and graduate students. Clearly our foundation account is not, at this point, sufficient to support this, and so grants are necessary as well as support from other units within the University. Still, donations are an important part of this overall funding package. Some of the visiting philosophers we have hosted include Sir Peter Strawson, Richard Boyd, Alvin Goldman, Stephen Darwall, Margaret Wilson, Richard Rorty and George Sher.
How do I make my donation?
- Online: If you wish to give to the Philosophy Department, you may use our secure form. Be sure to indicate your gift is for the Philosophy Department
- Mail: UW Foundation. 1200 Ivinson, Laramie, WY 82070. Be sure to make your check out to The Philosophy Department.
- Telephone: contact the UW Foundation at 307-766-6300 or 888-831-7795. Be sure to tell them you are calling to ask about donating to the Philosophy Department