Sidebar Site Navigation
Political Science MA Requirements for Admission
Thank you for your interest in our programs. Below you will find the minimum application requirements checklist for the Political Science MA program. Please contact Jamie with any questions about the application process or if you believe you may be deficient in an area. Applications are reviewed year round.
Minimum Application Requirements
1. Submit Application and Pay $50.00 Application Fee
2. Send all official transcripts (undergraduate and post-graduate) to the University of Wyoming Admissions office. If you are a UW graduate, this requirement is waived. A minimum undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required.
3. Take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). The MPA Admissions Committee sets the program standard at minimum percentiles. A 60th percentile on the Verbal portion and a 40th percentile on the Quantitative portion of the exam are expected of our applicants. The institutional reporting code for the University of Wyoming is 4855.
4. Submit 3 letters of recommendation from individuals knowledgeable about your preparation and qualifications for graduate education. E-mail addresses of your recommenders will be provided during your on-line application process.
5. One-page personal statement describing your objectives in seeking the degree and mail directly to the Political Science Department.
6. Submit a writing sample of at least 10 pages, such as a paper prepared for an undergraduate course.
Optional Application Requirements
1. Graduate Assistant Application. Assistantships cover tuition, fees and student insurance as well as offering a monthly stipend for students who work within teaching and research areas within the department. The GA positions are awarded on a competitive basis and require full-time presence in Laramie for the academic year. If interested, please submit application to the Political Science Department. The deadline for applications is March 1st for positions starting the following fall semester.
Additional International Student Requirements
1. Confidential Financial Aid Statement delivered to UW Admissions office.
2. Official English Proficiency Test Results. TOEFL minimum = 76, IELTS = 6.5. TOEFL information can be found here. UW's institutional reporting code is 4855.