Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply to the University of Wyoming apply now

Global Resource Navigation

Visit Campus
Download UW Viewbook
Give to UW
two graduate students standing with two faculty members in front of the Snowy Range

International Studies M.A.

School of Politics, Public Affairs & International Studies

Overview of the Program

The International Studies Master of Arts (MA) Program is a highly interdisciplinary program that allows you to create a program that fits your interests. It is a small program with highly experienced faculty who are more than excited to work with you. Students in our program go on to do work with government organizations, global environmental stewardship organizations, the Peace Corps, and nongovernmental organizations as well as move into PhD programs elsewhere. In short, should you chose to enter this program you will leave with a vast amount of knowledge and the ability to work in a wide variety of organizations. As a Masters student, you are required to go abroad for research. If you are a domestic student this means going to a different country; if you are an international student you will do research in the United States or another country that is not your home country. The University of Wyoming has the largest single endowment of any public university in the United States for students to study abroad, which means it is significantly cheaper to fund field research for your thesis.

There are two different ways to complete a Masters degree at the University of Wyoming:

The Traditional Masters Degree: Students complete a minimum of 26 hours of coursework and 4 hours of thesis research. You will work with an advisor and advisory committee to pick courses and develop your thesis.

The Joint Degree with Environment and Natural Resources (ENR): Each student completes 26 hours of coursework and 4 hours of thesis research. You are required to take introductory courses for both International Studies and Environment and Natural Resources. When forming your committee, you will pick an advisor in each program who will sit on your committee and help you choose your courses and formulate your thesis.

Share This Page:

Contact Us

School of Politics, Public Affairs & International Studies

Arts & Science Building 208

Dept. 3197

1000 E. University Ave.

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: (307) 766-6484


1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Twitter Icon Youtube Icon Instagram Icon Facebook Icon

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Gainful Employment | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon