EdD Degree in Educational Administration, K-12 Educational Leadership
|Domestic Students:||GPA: 3.0 in Masters||GRE: 900/291; 4.0 (analytical writing)||
Jan. 15 & Sept. 15
TOEFL: 550 min written or 80 min online, OR
IELTS : 6.5 min overall score
GRE: 147 in verbal and quantitative; 4.0 in analytical writing
Jan. 15 & Sept. 15
The EdD is designed to prepare students for service as an educational leader and for continued growth and learning, either as a principal, superintendent, or a K-12 teacher with increased leadership knowledge and skills. Students who are interested in a Wyoming School Superintendent's Endorsement can apply to the Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board after successfully completing the educational leadership core courses and the internship (total of 26 credit hours).
International Students: Welcome and thank you for your interest in our program! Either a TOEFL score or an IELTS score is acceptable. We require a minimum score of 80 for the online TOEFL exam, with minimum scores of 20 in each subset, and the score must be at least two years current. For the IELTS exam, we require a minimum overall score of 6.5, with minimum scores of 6 in each subset, and the score must be at least two years current.
This EdD program requires students to successfully complete 77-80 credit hours, depending on admission date, including a superintendent internship. Of those, 30 credits may be applied from a relevant master's degree program.
Following the completion of the educational leadership coursework, internship, and educational research courses, students take the comprehensive examination. After passing the comprehensive examination, they become candidates for the doctoral degree; they begin writing their dissertation by taking dissertation prospectus writing and complete their dissertation while taking the final 6 credits. Students who complete a specific menu of courses will be eligible for a superintendent's endorsement through PTSB and a UW School District Superintendent Certificate.
Tuition and Fees
The University of Wyoming was ranked 11th in the nation for best value!
Note: All courses for the EdD program are offered only through Outreach.
Additional outreach course fees: $25/credit
Please refer to the Outreach Tuition & Fees page for details.
To be considered for admission to the Doctor of Education degree program, an applicant must have met the GPA requirement (3.0 in Master of Arts degree program). In addition, applicants must have a minimum of 2 years K-12 educational administrative experience and demonstrated potential for leadership at the district level.
There are two application deadlines for this program: January 15 (applying for Fall semester program admittance), and September 15 (applying for Spring semester program admittance).
Step 1: Apply to UW and Professional Studies through the online applicant portal
- Click here to access the UW graduate applicant portal and in your application, please use the corresponding application admittance semester indicated above.
- After completing the initial information page, you will receive an email from the system including a link and your temporary username and password
- Please complete the contact, academic, residency information, etc.
- Submit the $50 application fee
- Submit ALL of the following required documents to the online document portal (applications with missing documents will not be considered)
- Application letter specifically addressing your potential for district level leadership
- Current CV or resume
- Three current letters of recommendation by providing email addresses of your referees; letters should be from those who are familiar with your leadership skills and one must be from your current superintendent or other administrator in the district office
- Unofficial copies of transcripts (official copies should be sent to UW Admissions)
- Unofficial copies of GRE scores (official copies should be requested from GRE reporting and sent to UW Admissions)
- Agree to admissions terms and submit your application
Step 2: Submit official copies of transcripts and test scores to UW Admissions
- Official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions should be requested and sent to UW Admissions: University of Wyoming Admissions - 1000 E. University Ave. - Laramie, WY 82071
- Official copies of GRE scores should be sent directly from GRE Reporting to UW Admissions