PhD Degree in Educational Administration, K-12 Educational Leadership
|GPA: 3.5 Master's||GRE: 900/291; 4.0 (analytical writing)||Deadline: Jan 15 and Sep 15||Apply!|
|International Students:||TOEFL: 550 written or 76 online||GRE: 900/291; 4.0 (analytical writing)||Deadline: Jan 15 and Sep 15||Apply!|
The PhD is designed to prepare students for university-level positions. The program prepares graduates in areas such as scholarly academic writing, college teaching, conducting educational research, and diversity in higher education. Students take general coursework across the college and specific cognate courses in educational leadership. Additional courses are customized depending on the students' particular career goals.
The PhD program is 81 credit hours. Of those, 30 credits may be applied from a relevant master's degree program. The remaining 51 credit hours include 9 credits of core PhD courses, 18 credits of core educational leadership courses,12 credits of educational research courses, and 12 credits of dissertation research. Following the completion of all coursework, students take the comprehensive examination. After passing the comprehensive examination, they become candidates for the doctoral degree; they begin writing their dissertation and complete the dissertation while taking the final 12 credits. Students who complete a specific menu of educational leadership courses will also be eligible for a superintendent's endorsement through PTSB and a UW School District Certificate. The program also has a residency requirement of one semester on campus involving teaching and research activities.
Tuition and Fees
The University of Wyoming was ranked 11th in the nation for best value!
|Resident Tuition||Non-Resident Tuition|
|Outreach Courses Campus Courses||Outreach Courses Campus Courses|
|$210/credit $210/credit||$294/credit $629/credit|
Note: Most courses for the PhD are offered through Outreach.
Additional outreach course fees: $20/credit for video or audio classes; $40/credit for online classes.
Please BE ADVISED that tuition for Outreach courses will be increasing. See link for details.
- William G. Berube Scholarship
- Elnora Brooks Memorial Scholarship
- John K. Corbett Memorial Scholarship
- Russell I. Hammond Scholarship
- Leona S. and Jeanette Heptner Scholarship
- Maurice Wear Scholarship
- Ivan Willey Scholarship
To be considered for admission to the Doctor of Philosophy degree program, an applicant must have met the GPA requirement (3.0 in Master of Arts degree program). In addition, applicants must have a minimum of 2 years administrative experience and demonstrated potential for research and leadership in higher education. There are two application deadlines for this program: January 15 and September 15.
Step 1: Apply to UW and Professional Studies through the online applicant portal
- Click here to access the UW graduate applicant portal
- After completing the initial information page, you will receive an email from the system including a link and your temporary username and password
- Please complete the contact, academic, residency information, etc.
- Submit the $50 application fee
- Submit ALL of the following required documents to the online document portal (applications with missing documents will not be considered)
- Application letter addressing your goals in higher education
- College of Education application
- Current CV or resume
- Three current letters of recommendation by providing email addresses of your referees; your letters should be from those who are familiar with your leadership skills
- Unofficial copies of transcripts (official copies should be sent to UW Admissions)
- Unofficial copies of GRE scores (official copies should be requested from GRE reporting and sent to UW Admissions)
- Agree to admissions terms and submit your application
Step 2: Submit official copies of transcripts and test scores to UW Admissions
- Official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions should be requested and sent to UW Admissions: University of Wyoming Admissions - 1000 E. University Ave. - Laramie, WY 82071
- Official copies of GRE scores should be sent directly from GRE Reporting to UW Admissions