|Domestic Students:||GPA: 3.0 in Masters||GRE: no requirement||
Jan. 15 & Sept. 15
|International Students:||GRE: 900/291 min||
TOEFL: 550 min written or 80 min online, OR
IELTS : 6.5 min overall score
Jan. 15 & Sept. 15
The school district superintendent certificate program is designed for students who seek district superintendent certification in the State of Wyoming. Students must complete 26 credit hours of required courses in addition to a comprehensive exam. Successful completion of these courses and the exam also meets the Educational Leadership Constituents Council (ELCC) standards for the superintendency. Wyoming's Professional Teaching Standards Board (PTSB) has approved these courses for district superintendent endorsement. Students are also awarded a University of Wyoming Superintendent Certificate.
International Students: Welcome and thank you for your interest in our program! Either a TOEFL score or an ITELTS score is acceptable. We require a minimum score of 80 for the online TOEFL exam, with minimum scores of 20 in each subset, and the score must be at least two years current. For the IELTS exam, we require a minimum overall score of 6.5, with minimum scores of 6 in each subset, and the score must be at least two years current.
The school district superintendent program requires students to successfully complete 26 credit hours. These include 24 credits of core educational leadership courses and 2 credits of superintendent internship, Following the completion of these 26 credits, students take the comprehensive examination. After passing the comprehensive examination, they receive a UW certificate of completion and become eligible to apply for a school district superintendent endorsement from Wyoming's PTSB.
Tuition and Fees
The University of Wyoming was ranked 11th in the nation for best value!
Note: All courses for the EdD program are offered only through Outreach.
Additional outreach course fees: $25/credit
Please refer to the Outreach Tuition & Fees page for details.
To be considered for admission to the Superintendent Certificate program, an applicant must have met the GPA requirement (3.0 in Master of Arts degree program). In addition, applicants must have a minimum of 2 years K-12 educational administrative experience and demonstrated potential for leadership at the district level. Successful applicants for the University of Wyoming programs in Educational Leadership typically have strong references, documented evidence of potential for academic excellence, and focused career goals that align with the administrative and leadership content of our programs. Preference will be given to applicants who demonstrate that they not only possess the required academic abilities to handle the theoretical and practical aspects of a graduate program but who also show attention to detail and thoughtfulness throughout the entire application process.
There are two application deadlines for this program: January 15 (applying for Fall semester program admittance), and September 15 (applying for Spring semester program admittance)
Step 1: Apply to UW and Professional Studies through the online applicant portal
- Click here to access the UW graduate applicant portal and in your application, please use the corresponding application admittance semester indicated above.
- After completing the initial information page, you will receive an email from the system including a link and your temporary username and password
- Please complete the contact, academic, residency information, etc.
- Submit the $50 application fee
- Submit ALL of the following required documents to the online document portal (applications with missing documents will not be considered)
- Application letter specifically addressing your potential for district level leadership
- Current CV or resume
- Three current letters of recommendation by providing email addresses of your referees; letters should be from those who are familiar with your leadership skills and one must be from your current superintendent or other administrator in the district office
- Unofficial copies of transcripts (official copies should be sent to UW Admissions)
- Agree to admissions terms and submit your application
Official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions should be requested and sent to UW Admissions: University of Wyoming Admissions - 1000 E. University Ave. - Laramie, WY 82071