Instructional Technology Application Guidelines: MS
Step 1: Apply to the University of Wyoming
- Complete the online UW application form
- Submit the $50 application fee
- Submit official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions
- GRE scores (optional)
- International students: TOEFL scores and confidential financial statement form (certified, with supporting documents)
Step 2: Apply to Professional Studies
- Three letters of recommendation via the admissions portal
- A personal statement (five double spaced type written page maximum)
- A current academic resume
- An academic essay (three to five pages, APA format)
- GRE scores (optional)
Step 2.3: Letters of Recommendation
References should come from people who can attest to your academic potential, previous personal or professional work experience, and fit with the standards and expectations that guide professional educators. If you are working in a professional education position, it is expected that your employer/supervisor will provide a letter of reference.
Step 2.4: Personal Statement
You should carefully consider the purpose of the personal statement. It should not exceed three double-spaced typewritten pages. The statement should address the following elements:
- Describe your professional self (e.g., personal goals, strengths and weaknesses that prepare or limit you for graduate study, and special skills).
- Discuss what attracts you to our graduate program, how you believe this degree can help you, and why you are applying at this time.
- Discuss faculty that you would like to work with and how they might help you pursue your career interests.
Step 2.5: Academic Resume
At a minimum, include the following in your resume:
- Personal Information: Name and Contact Information (Address, Phone numbers, email)
- Education: Institution, City, State, Dates Attended, Major, and Degree
- Work Experience: Dates, Job Title, Employer, City, State
- Professional experiences such as: Publications, Presentations and Grants; Continuing Education Activities, Awards/Honors Received; Community and Volunteer Activities; Professional Memberships.
Step 2.6: Academic Essay
As part of your application, you must submit a three to five page essay, in the format of the current American Psychological Association publication manual, addressing the following:
- Identify a problem you have encountered, an issue you are aware of, or an area you are curious about within the general field of training, educational technology or distance education.
- Research and summarize existing viewpoints and then articulate your personal position based upon your research and professional experience.
- This paper should be written in the following format:
- Provide a concise introduction that outlines the importance of your topic.
- Provide your personal perspective on the topic.
- Provide a focused discussion, based on information from the professional literature and your experience that defines the topic and provides context within a larger environment. In your discussion, please refer to evidence-based practice if applicable.
- Provide an integrated summary of your perspective and the literature you have cited. Are your ideas and perspectives supported by the literature? If not, can you support your ideas? Are there areas that you believe should be researched further?
- Provide a reference page for any resources you cite.
- The current edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association should be used for citations and references. See http://www.apastyle.org/
- The professional resources you cite should be current or seminal works.
This essay will be used to evaluate your critical thinking skills, writing skills, ability to use and apply resources, and ability to organize and integrate information. This paper must be completed on your own. Do not solicit outside input, editing or ideas from others, including family members, instructors, friends, associates, colleagues, etc. You will be required to sign a statement indicating that you have received no assistance with this essay.