Major Research Instrumentation
The deadline for proposals to be submitted to NSF is expected to be January 13, 2016. The solicitation from NSF is available at http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2015/nsf15504/nsf15504.htm. UW is limited to three (3) proposals. At least one of the proposals must be for instrument development. Not more than two (2) proposals may be for acquisition.
We expect several pre-proposals to emerge from campus and therefore an internal competition and review will be required for the internal campus competition. A pre-proposal with the following elements must be submitted to Farrell Rapp at email@example.com by Tuesday, October 13, 2015 by 5pm:
- Cover Page (1 page) - PI Name and contact information, CO-PI name(s) and Department(s), proposal title and an indication if the pre-proposal is for instrument development or acquisition.
- Summary of Desired Equipment (How it will be used? How will it enable research?)
- Intellectual Merit
- Broader Impacts
- Impact to UW (How it will improve the quality of research at UW?)
- Integration of Research & Education
- Integrating diversity into NSF programs, project and activities
- Budget and Budget Justification (2 pages)
- Vendor Quote
The proposal must be written in non-technical language and can be no longer than four (4) pages. The cover page, budget, budget justification, and vendor quote are not included in the four (4) page limit. The pre-proposals should be submitted electronically in one (1) PDF document to Farrell Rapp (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 5pm October 13, 2015.
If multiple pre-proposals are submitted by one department, the Office and Research & Economic Development will request that the Department Head rank the proposals in order of priority.
The Office of Research and Economic Development will assist in providing matching funds for the NSF MRI that are selected to submit full proposals to NSF. The amount of matching contributions provided by the Office of Research and Economic Development will be negotiated between the Research Office, PI and PI's Department Head after the three (3) proposals have been identified.For further information contact: Farrell Rapp, Office of Research and Economic Development, 766-2047 (email@example.com).