Business Certifications for Government Contracting
The Federal Government has long had a goal of getting at least 23% of its contracting dollars to small businesses. The Federal Government also has goals of awarding:
- 5% of contract dollars to 8(a) firms (the 8(a) program is the SBA’s business development program for socially and economically disadvantaged businesses)
- 5% of contract dollars to women-owned small businesses
- 3% of contract dollars to service-disabled veteran-owned small business
- 3% of contract dollars to HUBZone firms (the HUBZone program is the SBA’s place-based, race-neutral certification for firms that are located in areas of high unemployment and low average annual wages)
Each Federal agency negotiates their specific contracting goals with the SBA. Some agencies goals for these small business categories may be much higher. Also, some government contracting certifications are self-certifications; some involve extensive applications and a significant amount of supporting documentation. It is also important to note that having one of these certifications alone will not guarantee you a contract. What they can do is provide you a marketing advantage, and they may help to limit the competitive pool for certain opportunities. The reason for this is that under certain conditions, contracting officers may set aside contracting opportunities. If your business is not eligible for one of these certification programs, don’t worry - generally, all opportunities between $3,000 and $150,000 are set aside for small businesses.
The Wyoming Department of Transportation also administers the
DBE certification for firms owned, operated, and controlled by
minorities and/or women; primarily those firms engaged in road or
The Wyoming Entrepreneur PTAC team can assist your business with evaluating eligibility for these small business certification programs. If it appears you may be eligible, we can also assist you with step-by-step through the application process.
Ready for help?
Register as a client on our website if:
- You have not registered at our website before.
Directly contact one of the Specialists below if:
- You have registered at our website before and need PTAC assistance only.
- You are unsure if you have registered with us before.
Government Procurement Consulting:
Program Central Contact Information
Interim Program Manager
300 South Wolcott, Suite 300
Casper, Wyoming 82601