Dr. Felipe Pereira
Dr. Felipe Pereira is an SER Professor of Mathematics in the Department of Mathematics. He received his Ph.D. from The University at Stony Brook. His expertise includes application of mathematics to CO2 Sequestration and enhanced oil recovery. He also works on the development of models and numerical simulators for multi-phase flows in multi-scale heterogeneous petroleum reservoirs and aquifers.
Ph.D., Applied Mathematics, The University at Stony Brook, 1992
M.Sc., Mathematics, New York University, Courant Institute 1988
M.Sc., Physics, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Brazil, 1985
B.S., Physics, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Brazil, 1983
Current Research Interests
- Numerical Simulation of Multiphase Flows in Multiscale Porous Media: CO2 sequestration, oil reservoirs, contaminant transport
- Uncertainty Quantification
- Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations
- High Performance, Parallel, Scientific Computing
Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications
- M. Mendes, M. Murad and F.
Pereira, (2012), A New Computational Strategy for Solving Two-Phase Flow in
Strongly Heterogeneous Poroelastic Media of Evolving Scales. International Journal for Numerical and
Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, 36(15):1683-1716.
- F. Furtado, V. Ginting, F. Pereira, M. Presho, (2011),
Operator Splitting Multiscale Finite Volume Element Method for Two-Phase Flow
with Capillary Pressure, Transport in
Porous Media, 90, no. 3, pp. 927-947.
- V. Ginting, F. Pereira, M. Presho, S. Wo, (2011), Application
of the Two-stage Markov Chain Monte Carlo Method for Characterization of
Fractured Reservoirs using a Surrogate Flow Model, Computational Geosciences, 15, no. 4, pp. 691-707.
- J. Aquino, A.S. Francisco, F. Pereira, H.P. Amaral Souto
(2011), A hybrid method for the simulation of radionuclide contaminant plumes
in heterogeneous unsaturated formations, Progress
in Nuclear Energy, Volume 53, Issue 8, pp. 1159–1166.
- F. Pereira and A.
Rahunanthan, (2011), A Semi-discrete Central Scheme for the Approximation of
Two-phase Flows in Three Space Dimensions, Mathematics
and Computers in Simulation, Volume 81, Issue 10, pp. 1935-2370.
- M. R. Borges, F. Pereira, H. P. Amaral Souto, (2010), Efficient
Generation of Multi-scale Random Fields: a Hierarchical Approach. International Journal for Numerical Methods
in Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 26, 2, 176-189.
- C. Douglas, F. Furtado, V. Ginting, M. Mendes, F.
Pereira, M. Piri, (2010), On the development of a high-performance tool for the
simulation of CO2 injection into deep saline aquifers, Rocky Mountain Geology, Vol. 45, N. 2,
- J. Aquino, T. J.
Pereira, A. S. Francisco, F. Pereira, H. P. Amaral Souto, (2010), A Lagrangian
Strategy for the Numerical Simulation of Radionuclide Transport Problems, Progress in Nuclear Energy, Vol. 52, 3,
- M. R. Borges, M. Murad, F. Pereira and F. Furtado,
(2009), A New Multiscale Scheme for Computing Statistical Moments in Single
Phase Flow in Heterogeneous Porous Media, Water
Resources Research, Vol. 32, pp. 361-382.
- E. Abreu, F. Pereira, S. Ribeiro, Central Schemes for
Porous Media Flow, (2009), Computational
and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 28, N. 1, pp. 87-110.
- E. Abreu, Jim Douglas, Jr., F. Furtado and F. Pereira,
(2009), Operator Splitting for Three-phase Flow in Heterogeneous Porous Media, Communications in Computational Physics,
Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 72-84.
- M. R. Borges, F. Furtado, F. Pereira and H. P. Amaral
Souto, (2008), Scaling Analysis for the Tracer Flow Problem in Self-Similar
Permeability Fields, SIAM Multiscale
Model. Simul., Vol. 7, Issue 3, pp. 1130-1147.
- E. Abreu, Jim Douglas Jr., F. Furtado and F. Pereira,
(2008), Operator Splitting Based on Physics for Flow in Porous Media, International Journal of Computational
Science, v. 2, 3, pp. 315-335.
- J. Aquino, A. S. Francisco, F. Pereira, H. P. Amaral
Souto, (2008), An Overview of Eulerian-Lagrangian Schemes Applied to
Radionuclide Transport in Unsaturated Porous Media, Progress in Nuclear Energy, v. 50, 7, pp. 774-787.
Current Research Projects
Curriculum Vitae March 2013 (pdf)