Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply to the University of Wyoming apply now

Global Resource Navigation

Visit Campus
Download UW Viewbook
Give to UW

Application Process

To determine if you are eligible for NEED-BASED aid, you must:

  1. If you do not already have a FSA ID, you must acquire one in order to electronically sign your FAFSA. If you are a dependent student, your parents should also apply for a FSA ID so they can electronically sign your FAFSA. Parents with multiple students need only apply for one FSA ID.

  2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Renewal Application and submit it to the federal processing center online. Filing early is the launching point for access and opportunity to additional scholarships and federal financial aid.

  3. If additional information is required to process your file, you will receive one or more messages on WyoWeb. You should respond to these requests as soon as possible.

  4. Once all needed information is received, you will receive an Award Notice through WyoWeb. This will include the types and amounts of aid you are offered and instructions for applying for the Federal Direct Loan and Federal Direct PLUS Loan programs.

Other Tips to Remember

  • You must apply for aid EVERY YEAR.

  • You can complete the FAFSA using ESTIMATED income tax figures.

  • Respond quickly to ALL requests for information.

  • Put your name and W# on all documents submitted to the Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid.

  • Keep a copy of all documents related to your financial aid.

  • Keep a record of all loans, including promissory notes and disclosure statements.

  • Assistance not based on financial need is available through the Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan, the Federal Direct PLUS Loan (for parents) and from hundreds of privately-funded scholarships.

  • Financial aid is designed to supplement a family's contribution; therefore students and their parents should be prepared to finance a portion of the cost of attendance.

What programs are students applying for by completing the FAFSA?

 Undergraduate (no previous bachelor's degree) students are applying for:

  • Federal Pell Grant

  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

  • Federal Perkins Loan

  • Federal Direct Loan Programs (including Federal Direct PLUS Loans)

  • Federal Work-Study opportunities

  • Scholarships

Graduate/Professional students may apply for:

  • Federal Direct Loan Programs (including Federal Direct PLUS Loans)

  • Federal Perkins Loan

  • Federal Work-Study opportunities

  • Certain scholarships

What is need?

Federal financial aid is awarded on the basis of need. Need is the difference between the cost of attendance (tuition, fees, room, board, books and supplies, and other educational expenses) and the amount the student and his/her family can afford to pay, known as the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is determined by the federal processor after evaluating the information you provide on the FAFSA. The federal processor considers factors such as income, assets, family size, and number of students in college when determining a family's ability to contribute to the cost of attendance. If you feel that your family has unusual circumstances which may affect your ability to meet college expenses, you should discuss the matter with a financial aid counselor.

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Twitter Icon Youtube Icon Instagram Icon Facebook Icon

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Gainful Employment | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon