Some of the content on this website requires JavaScript to be enabled in your web browser to function as intended. While the website is still usable without JavaScript, it should be enabled to enjoy the full interactive experience.

Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Perkins Loan|Student Financial Aid

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please read the What You Need To Know About Your Perkins Loans and Requirements for Completion of Federal Perkins Loan Master Promissory Note documents thoroughly, and follow any directions it may suggest. Then printout and complete the Master Promissory Note and Reference Sheet from Student Financial Operations: Forms for Perkins Loans.

Return completed information to:

Student Financial Operations
Dept. 3923
1000 E. University Avenue
Laramie, WY 82071

Originals must be sent. Email, fax, and/or copies will not be accepted.

A Federal Perkins Loan is a low-interest (5%), long-term loan to help pay for your educational expenses such as tuition, fees, room and board, and books. These loans are made to undergraduate and graduate students through the Office of Student Financial Aid and are awarded based on need.

To apply, fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Perkins Loans are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis, so early application is essential. If you meet the requirements you will receive your award notice which will indicate that you are eligible for a Federal Perkins Loan. If you accept the loan, a promissory note will be sent to you. Sign the Master Promissory Note and return it to the Office of Student Financial Operations and your loan proceeds will be disbursed and applied to your student account at the start of the semester.


A loan is a form of aid that must be repaid with interest. Perkins Loan repayments are made to the University of Wyoming. If you have any outstanding principal or interest owing on any student loan (Perkins/NDSL) borrowed prior to July 1, 1987, you begin paying six months after you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time status. If you are a new borrower who has no previous outstanding principal or interest owing on any loan, you begin repayment nine months after you graduate, leave school or drop below half-time status. You may be allowed up to 10 years to repay your loan. The amount of your payment depends on the size of your debt, but you must pay at least $40 per month.

Note: When you leave UW, you must complete a loan exit interview.

Certain conditions may make you eligible to defer the repayment of your Federal Perkins Loan. These conditions include at least part-time enrollment at a post-secondary school; volunteer work in Peace Corps or ACTION programs or comparable full-time volunteer work for a tax-exempt organization; active duty in the U.S. armed forces, Commissioned Corps of U.S. Public Health Service or National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Corps; temporary total disability or inability to work because you are caring for a temporarily totally disabled spouse or other dependent; working at an eligible internship; unemployment; or (if the loan was borrowed before 7/1/1993) being the mother of preschool-age children and working at a salary of no more than $1 over the minimum wage.

If you default on a Federal Perkins Loan and the school is unable to collect, it will harm your credit rating and the federal government may take action to recover the loan. You cannot receive further financial aid if you are in default status.

Special Circumstances Under Which Repayment is Not Required

Your loan will be canceled if you die (upon receipt of an appropriate death certificate) or become totally and permanently disabled. Part of your loan will be canceled for each complete academic year you are a full-time teacher of handicapped children or for each year you teach math, science, foreign languages, or bi-lingual education in a designated elementary or secondary school. In both of these cases, your entire loan will have been canceled after the fifth consecutive year of teaching. To find out whether the school you are teaching in is a designated school, contact the Office of Student Financial Operations. The same is also true if you are a nurse or medical technician providing health care services, or an employee of a private or public non-profit child or family service agency working with high-risk children from low-income communities. Part of your loan will be canceled for each year of full-time teaching in specified Head Start programs. After the seventh year, your entire loan will have been canceled. Up to 70% of your loan can be canceled for service as a Peace Corps or VISTA volunteer--30% during the first two years, 40% during the next two years. If you serve as an enlisted person in certain selected specialties of the U.S. Army, the Army Reserves, the Army National Guard, the Department of Defense will, as an enlistment incentive, repay a portion of your loan. If you think you may qualify, contact your recruiting officer.  Up to 100% of your loan may be canceled when you make a timely request if you work full-time as a law enforcement or corrections officer after the loan period, if you borrowed after 11/29/90.

Problem Resolution - Ombudsman's Office

Experience has shown that the best and quickest way to resolve a problem is to contact the person or office involved. If you are having a problem related to your loan, and you are unable to resolve that problem to your satisfaction with UW, you may contact the Ombudsman's office in the U.S. Department of Education. A representative of that office will research your situation, help you to understand the loan process and requirements, and intervene on your behalf should that become necessary.

Office of the Ombudsman
Student Financial Assistance
U.S. Department of Education
Room 3012, ROB #3
7th & D Streets, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20202

Customer Service Phone: 877-557-2575

Share This Page:

Footer Navigation

University of Wyoming Medallion
1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071 // UW Operators (307) 766-1121 // Contact Us // Download Adobe Reader