Guidelines to Write a Better Thank You Letter
order to ensure that UW's scholarship donors know that their scholarship
dollars are funding students who exhibit academic excellence and who truly
appreciate the support given through their scholarship award, Student Financial
Aid is asking scholarship recipients to review the following guidelines to a
better thank you letter listed below.
Note: The thank you letter requirement on your WyoWeb will not be marked complete and the award will not be allowed pay onto your account until the letter satisfies these guidelines.
- Your letter should be at least two, preferably three, paragraphs in length and need not be more than a page long. A typed letter may be preferable unless your penmanship is exemplary, but a thoughtful, hand-written note is certainly also acceptable. Please no thank you cards.
- We suggest that your letter be thoughtful, sincere, and not informal. Let the donor know a little bit about you. You might mention where you are in pursuing your degree, your goals, and
how this scholarship will help you to meet those goals. Any personal information relevant to your scholarship or future education goals that you feel comfortable sharing with your donor(s) will give them a better sense of connection with you and that their generosity is truly appreciated.
- In the letter, you must include your UW student e-mail and the aid year for
which you are receiving the award.
Addressing and Sending Your Letter
- If you received an award letter, please address your letter to the donor(s) listed on your scholarship award letter and the name of the scholarship must also appear in the letter. In the event that your award does not have a donor or account name, please address your letter to the UW Foundation.
- If you did not receive an award letter, please address your letter directly to the donor(s), the organization, or the name of the scholarship. If the letter is not addressed to the name of the scholarship itself, then the name of the scholarship must also appear in the letter.
- The letter may given to Financial Aid by dropping it off at Knight Hall Room 174, faxed to 307-766-3800, or mailed to:
UW Student Financial Aid Office
Dept 3335 - 1000 E. University Ave.
Laramie, WY 82071
If you have any questions please feel free to contact the Student Financial Aid Office at 307-766-2412