Ph.D. University of Texas at Austin 1982; M.A. University of Texas at Austin 1978; B.A. Louisiana State University 1975
Donna Barnes earned her Ph.D. from the University of Texas at Austin in 1982. Her primary areas of teaching interest are Social Movements and Social Stratification. Her teaching in these two areas is closely related, with her Social Movements course emphasizing movements that address the nature of social stratification in regard to race, class and gender. She has also taught a course on the environmental movement. Her research focuses on agrarian social movements. Recently, her book on an agrarian movement in nineteenth century America (The Louisiana Populist Movement) was published by Louisiana University Press. Currently, she is conducting research on the anti-draft movement at the Heart Mountain internment camp during World War II, the United Farm Workers Movement, and the Texas Farm Workers movement.
Soc 1000: Sociological Principles; Soc 1100: Social Problems; Soc 3150: Social Movements; Soc 3500: Sociology of Gender; Soc 5250: Special Topics: Social Movements
Barnes, Donna. 2011. The Louisiana Populist Movement. Louisiana State University Press.
Barnes, Donna. 2011. "Agrarian Movements." In The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Social and Political Movements. Edited by David A. Snow, Donatella Della Porta, Bert Klandermans, and Doug McAdam.
Barnes, Donna and Catherine Connolly. 1999. "Repression, the Judicial System, and Political Opportunities for Civil Rights Advocacy During Reconstruction." Sociology Quarterly 40(2):327-45.
Barnes, Donna and Audie Blevins. 1993. "On Sinners and Saints: Reply to Gelles and Geletta and to Lobao, Schulman, and Swanson." Rural Sociology 58(2):289-98.
Barnes, Donna and Audie Blevins. 1992. "Farm Structure and the Economic Well-being of Non-metropolitan Counties." Rural Sociology 58(2):333-46.
Barnes, Donna. 1987. "Organization and Radical Protest: An Antithesis?" Sociological Quarterly 28(4):575-94.
Barnes, Donna. 1987. "Strategy Outcome and the Growth of Protest Organizations: A Case of Study of the Southern Farmers Alliance." Rural Sociology 52(2):164-86.
Barnes, Donna. 1984. Farmers in Rebellion: The Rise and Fall of the Southern Farmers Alliance and People's Party in Texas. University of Texas Press.
- Sociology Department Search Committee, 2008
- Sociology Department Graduate Director/Chair of Graduate Committee, 2001- 2003
- Sociology Department Graduate Committee, 1991-1993, 1997, 2000-2005
- Sociology Department Personnel Committee, Chair, 1995-96 and Fall 2006-2008
- Sociology Department Undergraduate Committee, 1998-99
- Arts and Sciences Dean's Head Council, 2009-2011
- Arts and Sciences Academic Dishonesty Appeals Committee, 2006-present
- Arts and Sciences Summer Research Award Committee, 1992
- Arts and Sciences Scholarship Committee, 1995-98
- President, Parents Group, University of Wyoming Lab School, 2001-2003
- Recipient of the Individual Community Support Award, Albany County Education Association, 1999
- PTA President, Thayer Elementary School, 1998-2000
- Parent Representative to the Site Council, Thayer Elementary School, 1998-2000
- Parent Representative, Albany County School District Budgetary Advisory Committee, 1998
- Chair/Co-chair of the Scholastic Book Fairs, University of Wyoming Lab School, 2001-2009