Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now

Undergraduate VS. Graduate Credit

English as Second Language

Undergraduate Credit

ESL certificate courses are available to undergraduates - though you cannot receive the endorsement until you have completed your teaching credential requirements. Be sure to request that your placement for student teaching include a location where you will have an opportunity to work with second language learners.  If used toward an undergraduate degree, ESL coursework cannot count as graduate credit or toward a graduate degree.


Graduate Credit

ESL courses can count toward your certification and for graduate credit.  In order for ESL coursework to count as graduate level credit, students must either (1) have graduate status with the University when taking the courses, or (2) submit the Reserve for Graduate Credit form to the Registrar during the semester the course is taken if the student has undergraduate status with the University.  Students can only reserve up to 6 credit hours for graduate credit when taken at the undergraduate level.  If you aren't sure about your status, please contact the Curriculum and Instruction Office Associate or the Registrar's Office.

If taken for graduate credit, 12 of the units can count as part of an ESL emphasis for the Master of Arts in Education in Curriculum & Instruction. In effect, once completing the certificate classes, you would only be 18 units from completing the master’s degree program requirements.

Contact Us

Curriculum and Instruction Graduate Programs

Dept. 3374

1000 E. University Ave.

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: 307-766-6366


1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon