Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply to the University of Wyoming apply now

Global Resource Navigation

Visit Campus
Download UW Viewbook
Give to UW
Students in a classroom

Legal Information

Advocates cannot provide legal advice. However, we can provide you with some information and referrals to help you access effective legal counsel. There are two types of law that relate to sexual violence:

  • Criminal law refers to the type of law you usually see on TV, with a judge and jury, and the possibility of someone going to jail. To pursue the criminal law process, someone needs to report the incident to the police, and the reported behavior needs to be a crime.

  • Civil law refers to most other forms of legal action, including divorce and custody, housing contracts, Title IX and student conduct hearings, and orders of protection. 

Some attorneys will practice both civil and criminal law, while other attorneys choose one or the other. Even if you choose not to make a report to the police or to UW, there still may be some legal options available to you through the civil system.

There are some legal options available to you on campus and in Laramie. An advocate may be able to explain more about what each option can provide, or you can contact them directly.

Student Legal Services provides free legal advice to UW students who have paid their student fees. Student Legal Services cannot provide legal advice in cases against another UW student, but they can provide information in cases that involve abusive parents, abusers who are not UW students, criminal matters, cases against non-UW housing companies, and other situations.

The Wyoming Coalition Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault (WCADVSA) has a legal program that provides free civil representation to qualifying applicants. Applicants must prove financial need (most UW students meet this qualification); must be victims of sexual violence as defined in an intake screening; and must be seeking civil, not criminal, legal services. Stop Violence and SAFE Project can provide applications to interested students, or students can contact the program directly.  

The UW Family and Child Advocacy Clinic provides free civil representation to qualifying applicants. Applicants must prove financial need (most UW students meet this qualification) and must be seeking civil legal services for issues related to being a victim of sexual or domestic violence.

Wyoming Legal Aid offers free legal representation in civil and criminal matters to qualifying applicants. Contact Legal Aid for more information.

The Wyoming State Bar offers an attorney finder service for individuals looking for a private attorney anywhere in the state of Wyoming. Individuals can contact private attorneys to ask about pro bono (free) or sliding scale services.


Student Legal Services

Student Legal Services >

WCADVSA Legal Program

WCADVSA Legal Program >

UW Family and Child Advocacy Clinic

Family and Child Advocacy Clinic >

Wyoming Legal Aid

Wyoming Legal Aid >

Wyoming State Bar

Find a private attorney

Wyoming State Bar >
Contact Us

Stop Violence Program

Dean of Students Office

Knight Hall 106

Dept. 3135

1000 E. University Drive

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: 307-766-3296

Fax: 307-766-3298


1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Gainful Employment | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon