Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now

Application Checklist

Before you begin make sure you understand the Student Visa Process. This process takes at least 6 weeks. Apply early in case there are any difficulties!

To attend the Intensive ESL Program (IEP) for Fall or Spring, you will need an F1 study visa. 


First Steps:

To start an application, please complete our online application and pay the $40 non-refundable application fee. To complete an IEP Application you will need to email documents to Admission at

  • Current valid passport at least 1 year available before the expiration date

  • Completed IEP Confidential Financial Statement (CFS Form)

  • Financial documents

  • Transcripts (Unofficial copies acceptable for IEP. Official copies are needed for UW degree applications)

Conditional Admission:

Apply to both IEP and an undergraduate program and you will receive a letter of conditional admission for your undergraduate program when you receive your English study I-20:

  • Complete an undergraduate application for your program of interest at the same time as applying to the IEP.

  • Only pay the application fee one time (if you have already paid the fee for the IEP application or the undergraduate application, the one fee covers both applications).

  • You MUST have official transcripts sent to University of Wyoming Admissions by your previous schools (email for details regarding your country).

  • Make the degree application for the semester FOLLOWING the date on your IEP application:

    • For example: IEP application for FALL 2019 and then Computer Science degree application for SPRING 2020.

Next Steps:

  • You will be accepted to the IEP with a welcome email.

  • Your documents will be e-mailed directly to you. 

  • The IEP will send you a Form I-20 and invitation letters for the University of Wyoming (UW) IEP for your visa interview.

  • When you have received these documents, go online and pay the $200 I-901 SEVIS Fee .

  • Make an appointment for a "non-immigrant student visa" interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in your country.

  • Complete a Form DS-158 and DS-156 Non-Immigrant Visa Application. Print and bring to your interview. Pay any required fee.

  • You will need official passport photos with your visa application.


About United States F-1 Student Visas

The I-901 SEVIS Fee is required for all F and M students, as well as J exchange visitors, and is the same for every school. Paying your I-901 SEVIS Fee is very important. Without this fee, you will not be eligible to apply for a visa. To learn more about the I-901 SEVIS Fee visit the SEVIS I-901 Fee page.

    • Make sure your Form I-20 information matches that on your I-901 SEVIS Fee form.

    • – This is the website to pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee.

    • Remember to make copies and take these important documents with you:

      • Passport

      • Form I-20, "Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student Status"

      • Form DS-158 and DS-156 "Application for Non-Immigrant Student Visa"

      • Financial records and UW Confidential Financial Statement and Affidavit of Support, if applicable

      • Your UW admission letter as proof of admission to or enrollment in U.S. school

Contact Us

English Language Center

1000 E. University Ave. Dept. 3707

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: 1-307-766-3630


English Language Center at the University of Wyoming
Find us on Facebook (Link opens a new window) Find us on Instagram (Link opens a new window)

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon