Web Resource for Parents
Study Abroad Handbook
Recommendations to Parents, Guardians, and Families
In study abroad, as in other settings, parents, guardians, and families play an important role in the health and safety of participants by helping them make decisions and by influencing their behavior overseas.
When appropriate, parents, guardians, families should:
- Obtain and carefully evaluate health and safety information related to the program, as provided by the sponsor and other sources.
- Be involved in the decision of the participant to enroll in a particular program.
- Engage the participant in a thorough discussion of safety and behavior issues, insurance needs, and emergency procedures related to living abroad.
- Be responsive to requests from the program sponsor for information regarding the participant.
- Keep in touch with the participant.
- Be aware that some information may most appropriately be provided by the participant rather than the program.