Our mission is to serve in an advisory capacity to all campus departments, colleges and other entities in an effort to advance environmental and economic sustainability at the University of Wyoming.
Campus Sustainability Committee Mission
Service Building 110
Laramie, WY 82071
There are many ways for students at the University of Wyoming to get involved in sustainability initiatives. Many courses at UW are relevant to the topic of sustainability. In addition, several student and volunteer groups on campus are actively involved in sustainability in some way.
Student Leadership and Civic Engagement
The UW Center for Service, Leadership & Community Engagement (SLCE) is a one-stop-shop for students, faculty and staff who want to get involved in the UW and Laramie communities and make a difference on campus. SLCE is the place to start if you're interested in opportunities to get involved in sustainability at UW.
Student Groups (RSO's)
- ACRES - Agricultural and Community Resources for Everyday Sustainability ACRES. Purpose: Develop and maintain a student managed agricultural operation guided by the principles of economic, environmental, and social sustainability. www.uwyo.edu/uwacres
Advisor: Urzsula Norton, firstname.lastname@example.org, 307-766-5189; President: Erin Anders, email@example.com, Group meets: Wednesday, 5:00 pm, Ag 22
- Energy & Sustainability Club - Purpose: To promote of renewable energy, increase awareness of today's energy conversion methods and the education of sustainable energy both on and off campus. Activities include hosting renewable energy related education events, such as an annual energy panel each spring. President: Kyle Purcell, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Environment & Natural Resource Club - Purpose: Promote conservation and restoration of disturbed areas. Activities include re-seeding and watershed maintenance of the High Park Fire area, groups hikes and a naturel art competition. For information on how you can get involved contact Wil Chapple.
- The Good Mule Project - Purpose: to grow diversity, sustainability and social justice on a global scale through local means. www.thegoodmule.org
Advisor: Jenny Reese, email@example.com, 307.766.2959 or email the SLCE Office at www.wyo.edu/slce.
Group meets: Thursday, 4:00 PM, Union 011
- Nordic Ski Team - Purpose: Offers diverse options for continuing your ski career in college and provides unique opportunities for student leadership, fund raising, volunteer activities and community service. Each year the ski teams helps to bring sustainability to the community through Trash to Treasue (T2T), an event in which unwanted household items are collected at the end of the school year, cleaned and re-sold in the fall.
- Residence Halls Association (RHA) - Students living in the residence halls at UW can get involved in sustainability through RHA, which sponsors the residence halls recycling program and works with Residence Life & Dining Services and other campus groups on sustainability initiatives.
- Sustainability Club - The Sustainability Club at the University of Wyoming will foster a sustainable culture in UW’s student body, faculty, staff, and community. Email Uwyo.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Faculty / Staff Involvement - see Green Teams
Ride the Recycle Cycles
Interested in doing your part for campus sustainability? Student organizations can volunteer to ride the recycle cyles by contacting Custodial Services Manager, Tod Scott.
- Enjoy the fall in Laramie and the game day atmosphere
- Increase recycling at Wyoming Cowboy's games while getting some exercise
2013 Earth Day
The UW Campus Sustainability Committee table had several participants who completed a quick survey to find out their carbon footprint. The survey also summarized how many “Earths”- worth of resources it would take if every person on Earth had the same lifestyle as the participant. If you would like to try this for yourself, please visit:
Here are photos of some of the results (results range from 3.1 to 5.5 Earths).