Learner Outcomes and Standards
University of Wyoming College of Education
At the conclusion of their Wyoming Teacher Education Program, candidates will:
- Demonstrate acquisition of discipline knowledge and the application of that knowledge to create meaningful learning experiences for students.
- Demonstrate knowledge of developmental theories and develop a perspective of development that is both socio-cultural and biological in order to form a responsive pedagogy.
- Demonstrate the ability to respond to diverse learners, employ differentiated instruction, and cultivate a mutually respectful learning community that values all students.
- Apply multiple instructional strategies and learning theories and use a wide range of instructional materials and technology in order to achieve learning goals for all students.
- Demonstrate the ability to foster and implement democratic learning environments which model principles of ethics, schooling for a democratic society, and social justice, especially in the development of mutual respect, support, and critical inquiry in the classroom.
- Model effective communication techniques (including writing, speaking, listening, and use of media/technology) that promote learner understanding and encourage convergent and divergent thinking.
- Demonstrate the ability to select and create appropriate learning experiences based upon principles of effective instruction, both as an individual and team member.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to understand, select, construct, and use a variety of assessment methods and strategies to guide instruction, promote student growth, and to document student learning.
- Demonstrate the characteristics associated with reflective practice including self-assessment, individual and collective inquiry and life-long learning traits to support personal growth and professional development.
- Demonstrate the ability and willingness to foster collaborative relationships with school colleagues, parents, and others in the larger community.
Please note that each of these learner outcomes for the WTEP is directly aligned with the WTEP Standards and these outcomes are assessed at progressive Phases of the WTEP according to the WTEP Assessment Plan.