Sidebar Site Navigation
2011-2012 Eminent Artists-in-Residence Links
1000 E. University Avenue
Laramie, WY 82071
Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company Residency
The University of Wyoming Department of Theatre and Dance is thrilled to welcome the celebrated Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company as the 2011-2012 Eminent Artists-in-Residence.
The company will begin its program at UW with a 12-week residency of three BTJ/AZ teaching artists. These artists will teach classes and lead workshops, and help to set several BTJ/AZ repertory pieces on our students for a concert later in the season.
On October 5, the BTJ/AZ company will present the acclaimed dance work Serenade/The Proposition at 7:30 p.m. in the UW Arts & Sciences Auditorium
Bill T. Jones Residency
Bill T. Jones himself will be in residency at UW October 26 - 29, 2011. Events are to include:
- Eminent-Artist-in-Residence Keynote Speech, October 28 at 4:10 p.m., FA Concert Hall
- Screening of A Good Man, a new PBS documentary about the making of the BTJ/AZ company's new dance-theatre piece, "Fondly Do We Hope...Fervently Do We Pray."
- Master classes
- Q&A sessions
The company's residency will culminate with Continuous Momentum: The Works of Bill T. Jones, a concert of several pieces from the Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane repertory: "D-man in the Waters," "Continuous Replay," "Duet," and "Power/Full."
The repertory concert will run November 15-19 at 7:30 p.m. and November 20 at 2:00 p.m. on the UW Fine Arts Main Stage.A tour of the repertory concert is scheduled for December 9 - 13. Possible tour locations include Torrington, Gillette, Sheridan, Lander, Riverton, Powell, and Rock Springs.
What critics have to say about BTJ/AZ:
"[Jones's] gifts: pungent, purposeful character development,
compelling storytelling and pure-dance interludes of slippery and often
deeply romantic choreography."
- Sarah Kaufman, The Washington Post, 03.26.09
"The river of choreography by Jones, Wong, and the dancers features
Jones' characteristically bold, juicy, unapologetically eclectic
- Deborah Jowitt, The Village Voice, 11.18.09, on Serenade/The Proposition
"Bill T. Jones is one dancesmith who understands the power of the spoken word."
- Susan Walker, Toronto Star, 04.17.08
"...the work of a mature artist at the peak of his powers... [Bill T.
Jones] has created a thing of immense beauty and consequence."
- Hedy Weiss, Chicago Sun-Times, 9.16.09, on Fondly Do We Hope...
Fervently Do We Pray
"Jones is not a choreographer in the sense that he just makes dances.
He likes to tackle unlikely theatrical themes in unconventional
- Hilarly Ostlere, The Financial Times, 10.06.08
"...a talented creative team, and expressive, powerful dancers ..."
- Ayelet Dekel, Midnight East (Israel), 6.02.10
"...his incredible company packed with dancers who can sing and act
as well; the fearless way Jones cuts to the heart of his subject matter,
evoking sentiments that are rarely stirred in our everyday lives."
- Susan Yung, SundayArts, 06.12.09
"Bill T. Jones, choreographer, philosopher, and political
commentator, makes works of art that reflect the turmoil at the center
of our society."
- Iris Fanger, The Patriot Ledger, 02.14.08
"...With Jones, it's the dance that makes the story."
- Rebecca Milzoff, New York Magazine, 09.7.08 on Fela!
"The supremely distinguished choreography of Bill T. Jones leaves you
with indelible, graceful images of young people scarcely bound by
- Paul Levy, Wall Street Journal, 3.9.09 on Spring Awakening
"[Jones] certainly will leave a high-water mark in modern dance."
- Susan Broili, The Herald-Sun, 7.16.05