Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now

Conservation Toolkit

U.S. Forest Service | Environment and Natural Resources

Sources for Land Stewardship

Table 7 – Federal sources for land stewardship.

Federal Sources for Land Stewardship
Name Purpose Location Contact
Cooperative Conservation Initiative A government program that highlights and provides resources for landowners, communities, conservation groups, industry, and governmental agencies who join together to conserve the environment. United States

NRCS Agricultural Management Assistance Program (AMA) Up to 75% federal cost share to address water management, water quality, and erosion control in farming operations. United States

(307) 233-6750

NRCS Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) Technical and financial assistance to farmers and ranchers to address soil, water, and related natural resource concerns. United States

(307) 233-6750

NRCS Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP)  Financial and technical assistance to conserve and improve soil, water, air, energy, plant and animal life, and other conservation purposes. United States (307) 233-6750
NRCS Conservation Technical Assistance Program (CTA) The Conservation Technical Assistance Program provides technical assistance supported by science-based technology and tools to help people voluntarily conserve, maintain, and improve their natural resources. United States

(307) 233-6750

NRCS Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) Up to 75% federal cost-share and technical assistance to promote agricultural production and environmental quality as compatible national goals. United States

(307) 233-6750

NRCS Grazing Lands Conservation Initiative (GLCI) Technical, educational, and related assistance to owners of private grazing lands. Not a cost-share program. United States

(307) 233-6750

NRCS Resource Conservation & Development Program (RC&D) A technical assistance and grant funding program aimed at local development/ protection of community economic, natural, and social resources. United States

(307) 233-6750


NRCS Wildlife Habitat Incentives Program (WHIP) A voluntary program for conservation-minded landowners who want to develop and improve wildlife habitat on agricultural land, nonindustrial private forest land, and Indian land. United States

(307) 233-6750

USFS Forest Stewardship Program Technical assistance for comprehensive, multi-resource management plans on private forest lands. United States

(307) 777-7586

USFWS Partners for Fish and Wildlife Provides assistance to private landowners who want to restore or improve habitat on their property. The landowner is reimbursed after project completion based on an agreed on cost-sharing formula. United States
(307) 332-5897
Western Forestry Leadership Coalition Partnership between the USFS and 23 western states. Works with private forest owners, fire organizations, and community forest groups to improve forest health. Offers the State & Private Forestry Western Competitive Grant program. United States (303) 445-4362

Previous     Next



Contact Us

Ruckelshaus Institute

Haub School of Environment

and Natural Resources

University of Wyoming

Bim Kendall House

804 E Fremont St

Laramie, WY 82072

Phone: (307)766-5080

Fax: (307)766-5099


1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon