I got Busted, Now What?
If you recently received a ticket or warning for an alcohol-related violation (i.e. Underage Consumption of Alcohol, Minor in Possession, Driving while Under the Influence, etc.), you may be referred to the AWARE program for alcohol education. Referrals can be made by a number of departments or agencies including the courts, Dean of Students Office, Residence Halls, Athletics, Fraternities, Sororities, and others.
Though there are specific topics for discussion, the education is informal and interactive. Typically, information covered includes: the laws regarding alcohol and other drug use, an overview of use and abuse with a brief look at addiction risks, riskier party behaviors and how to look out for self and others, positive choices for healthier living, a view of the consequences related to drinking and driving, and exercises designed to encourage safer choices.
All services are confidential: releases are obtained so we can notify your referral source that you have completed the program. No other information is released without a written consent from the student.
If you were referred to the AWARE program, you must complete the following steps:
- Within one week from referral date, report to University Counseling Center in 341 Knight Hall to complete some preliminary paperwork (this will take approximately 20 minutes). At this time you will also schedule a screening interview, and will be given instructions to take an on-line survey.
- Pay $20 cash or check to 341 Knight Hall at the time you complete the initial paperwork. This is a deposit that will be fully refunded to you after completing all steps of the program, including the post-intervention surveys. NOTE: If all steps are not completed, this deposit will be forfeited to the AWARE program. The $20 will also be forfeited if you do not arrange to pick it up within 120 days of program completion. Checks should be made out to UW/UCC.
- Take the on-line survey before your screening interview. This will take approximately 30 minutes. Print out the results and bring them with you to your screening interview.
- Attend/complete you screening interview w/ an AWARE person. Based on your screening interview, you will be referred to participate in one or more of the following interventions:
- Alcohol Edu: An on-line alcohol education program (takes about 3 hours to complete)
- Alcohol Education Seminar (AES): An interactive alcohol education class.
- BASICS: An individualized education program where you meet with an AWARE staff person 2-3 times for one hour each.
- Marijuana Education: Individualized meetings with an AWARE staff person.
- Referred to an outside source.
5. Attend/complete your scheduled intervention (AES, Alcohol Edu, or BASICS).
6. Complete two post-intervention on-line surveys (emailed to you approximately 30 days and 60 days after beginning the program).
7. Receive a refund of your deposit through your UW student account.
***NOTE: If you miss any of these steps, your name will be sent back to your referring official for failing to complete and you may not be allowed to finish the program. In addition your $20 deposit will be forfeited to the AWARE program.