The goal of test taking accommodations is to ensure that student performance is measured by knowledge and acquisition of course material, and to minimize the impact of the student's disability in the test-taking process. To accomplish this, UDSS coordinators make recommendations for test accommodations based on the documented impact of the disability with consideration to students' self report. To determine eligibility and determine details of your accommodation:
- Make an appointment with your coordinator early in the semester (after obtaining all course syllabi).
- Obtain Test Accommodation Forms for each course for which you will be taking exams in the UDSS office. Forms are acquired during your meeting with your coordinator.
- Have Test Accommodation Forms completed by your instructors and return to the UDSS office no later than five (5) working days before your first exam.
Your coordinator will communicate your accommodations with your instructors. Students are expected to also make contact with each instructor to confirm details, have forms completed, and to address any potential concerns.
It is the student's responsibility to communicate test dates and any test date changes to their coordinator.
Test Accommodation Policies
Scheduling Exam Locations and Times
- UDSS will schedule a testing room that meets your accommodation needs.
- Unless you have instructor approval, exams must be taken during the regularly scheduled exam time.
- Evening exams may be scheduled (with instructor approval) to start earlier to allow appropriate accommodations.
- If you wish to change an exam time, first confirm with your instructor, then notify your coordinator.
Arriving for Exams
- Please come to Knight Hall 109 on time. Test takers who arrive late must still finish the exam in the time allotted. Instructor permission may be needed to begin exams late.
- If you arrive on time, but there is a delay in seating you in a testing room, the ending time for your exam will be adjusted accordingly.
Exam Room Environment & Academic Dishonesty
- Students must leave all coats, backpacks, purses, electronic devices (turned off) in the main office. Leave valuables at home.
- Only materials listed by the instructor will be allowed in the testing rooms.
- UDSS provides scratch paper, bubble sheets and blue books for the testing rooms. Students must bring their own pens, pencils, paper, calculators, etc.
- Tests requiring a computer must be scheduled well in advance. Computer-generated responses will be saved on disks or drives provided by UDSS or the instructor.
- Consistent with your accommodations, you may be in a testing room with other students.
- Testing rooms are equipped with cameras monitored by UDSS staff.
- UDSS takes the role of proctoring exams seriously. We strive to ensure academic integrity and to protect you from any question of impropriety. Any concerns regarding academic dishonesty will be addressed with the student and reported to the course instructor for further action. If found guilty of academic dishonesty while using UDSS facilities, case-specific sanctions will be implemented, including the possibility of losing the privilege of having test accommodations facilitated by UDSS.
During an Exam
- Students are responsibility for keeping track of the time. All testing rooms have clocks.
- Snacks and drinks are allowed unless using a computer.
- Take care of all personal needs before beginning your exam. If you must use the restroom, check in with the UDSS/SEO main offices (room 109 or 330) or any coordinator (rooms 3, 10, 12, 103 or 110).
- When finished, take your exam, answers and all other materials back to the UDSS office.
- You may NOT leave the UDSS office until 10 minutes after the rest of the class has begun the exam. You will also not be allowed access to cell phones, Internet, PDAs, etc. during this time.
Returning Exams to Instructors
- UDSS will return exams and any accompanying materials to your instructor.
- UDSS keeps a detailed, written log of exam returns. If an instructor tells you they did not receive your completed exam, call our office. You may also call to confirm the return of an exam.
- If you miss an exam, or anticipate missing an exam, call your instructor first. If permission to retake the exam is granted, call your coordinator to schedule a time to make up the exam.
- If you do not show up for a scheduled exam, your exam will be returned to the instructor.
- Finals week is a very busy time at UDSS. Coordinators will contact students in the weeks prior to finals to confirm remaining exam dates and times. Students are responsible to confirm all exams to be taken at UDSS and to notify their coordinator of any changes in the final exam schedules.
- If you have time conflicts with final exams (i.e. overlapping times), contact your coordinator for assistance.
Back to Top