University of Wyoming
Technology Planning Council
Monday, June 8, 2009, 1:30 to 3 p.m., Old Main 321
Present: Robert Aylward, Chairman; Rollin Abernethy; Sara Axelson;
Ramona Belden; Bill Gern; Maggi Murdock; Karen Williams, guest
presenting ePortfolio; Mary Scott, staff support
Absent: Janet Lowe
- ePortfolio: Following Karen Williams presentation and ensuing
discussion, the Council agreed that the choice of platform will be made
after the consultant recommendations are made to the Governorís Video
Task Force and considered for their implications on the choice of
- Governorís Video Task Force Update: Robert Aylward and Maggi Murdock
explained that the focus of the VTF is to recommend ways for VTC
technology infrastructure needed in Wyoming for learning, meetings, and
telehealth to move forward over the next 10 to 20 years.
- Shibboleth: Robert Aylward explained that UW has access through the
Library Alliance to Shibboleth middleware for federated identity
management. IT is considering its use for authenticated trust
- Digital Signage: The Council agreed that a campus standard for
digital signage will be established.
- Classroom Technology Advisory Committee Recommendations: Ramona
Belden presented the CTAC recommendations. The Council voted unanimously
for approval on the two CTAC recommendations, agreeing:
A third CTAC proposal was presented but it was later found the proposal
still needed some additional work from CTAC before the Council was to
vote on it. CTAC will resubmit the proposal.
- That classroom VHS players will be phased out, that there may be a
need for video tapes to be transferred to disk.
- The plasma monitors from CR 219, which are in storage and not being
used, will be distributed through a Call for Proposal for their use. The
Call for Proposal will be sent to academic units. Distribution will be
made based on best use of the monitors.
- UW Budget Reductions: The Presidentís recent budget reduction letter
charged IT with two tasks:
Robert Aylward and Sara Axelson gave the status of the pilot project to
centralize Student Affairs technology staff under IT governance. Robert
asked all Council members to provide input into the two tasks.
- Centralizing technology staff.
- Centralizing technology purchasing.
- Discuss quarterly meeting schedule 2009-2010: A tentative meeting
schedule will be developed and sent to members.