Sidebar Site Navigation
What are the symptoms of influenza?
Two strains of influenza (A and B) are circulating and they have similar symptoms:
- Sore throat
- Body aches
If you become ill, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from spreading the illness.
Availability of Flu Shots
- The Student Health Service has a limited number of flu shots available for students who are eligible (all full time students, and those part time students who purchased the Optional Student Fee Package). Please call 766-2130 or come to Student Health. You do not need an appointment to obtain a flu shot. The cost is $22.50 and may be covered by insurance.
- Flu shots are available from Albany County Public Health. Call 721-2561 to check on availability. Many pharmacies in the area also have flu shots available. A flu shot is the best way to prevent influenza.
How can I protect myself from the flu?
The best ways to keep influenza from spreading are:
- Obtain a flu shot.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it. If you don't have tissues handy, cough into your elbow rather than your hand.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hands cleaners are also effective.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Do not share eating and drinking utensils.
- Avoid contact with sick people.
Wyoming Department of Health Influenza News Releases
- January 8, 2013: http://www.health.wyo.gov/news.aspx?NewsID-570