University of Wyoming Extension
If you have an insect (or any other small arthropods) you would like to have identified you can take it to your local University of Wyoming Extension office. The knowledgeable personnel who work there can often identify insects, especially common pests immediately. Sometimes a species level identification can be made but often identification of
the insect's Family is all that is necessary for good management
recommendations. If the local UW Extension personnel can't help you they will then send
the insect on to the University for identification.
Contact Us Directly:
If you need to, you can submit the insect, spider, or other arthropod with a completed
Insect ID Form and check (made payable to University of Wyoming, Insect ID) directly to:
c/o Scott Schell
1000 E University Ave.
Laramie, WY 82071
- Make sure you obey postal regulations and pack the creature you are sending in such a way that it won't mold, rot, or be crushed before it gets to the University.
- Identifications will be done as soon as possible but if the personnel are out of
the office doing research it may take a while to get a response.
- Please include an email or phone number as that helps you get a speedy response.
- Also include as much information about the insect sample as possible.
- If it is a plant pest,
including a sample of damage it is causing the plant will aid identification.
If the creature has bitten someone and there are any health concerns they should
seek immediate medical attention rather than waiting for official identification
the offending pest.
- Learn more about mailing a specimen or sending in a digital picture
ID Key (2007)
Insect and Arthropod ID Form
Dr. Alexandre Latchininsky
Phone: (307) 766-2298
Phone: (307) 766-2508
University of Wyoming Extension Entomology