University of Wyoming Extension
UW Extension educators and specialists organize and facilitate numerous activities for consumers and producers that support the local foods movement.
- Local Producer’s Tours: tour of ag operations near to show innovative and interesting ag operations
- Local Food Workshops: events that bring together producers and interested citizens to learn about farming, ranching, gardening and sustainability held in various locations across the state
- Community Supported Agriculture: development of a guidebook for those considering a CSA venture, as well as a workshops on the a CSA startup venture
- Farmer’s Markets: insight into marketing at farmers markets (for vendors) and marketing the farmer’s market (for market managers) as well as the facilitating the formation and development of farmer’s markets
- Poultry: workshops on the selection, care and management, and processing of chickens, including events like the Tour de Coop (an annual tour of Laramie chicken coops held each September)
- Food Cooperative Development: assisting with the creation of entities to facilitate the production and distribution of foods and products regionally
- Season Extension: workshops to build high tunnels and teach how to produce effectively in them
- GAPs (Good Agricultural Practices): materials and trainings to assist growers in safely handling food to protect the public heath
- Food Preservation Workshops: trainings in water bath and pressure canning, freezing, drying, fermentation
- Eat Wyoming: a printed local food guide and website
More information on these topics can be found by contacting Cole Ehmke.