Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply to the University of Wyoming

Global Resource Navigation

Give to UW
Download UW Viewbook
Visit Campus
Trademark Licensing Home

Contact Us

UW Trademark Licensing

Dept. 3322

1000 E. University Ave.

Wyoming Hall,

Room 356 and 352

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: (307) 766-6927

Fax: (307) 766-4049


Phone: (307) 766-5646

Trademark Licensing

FAQ's For Student Groups 

Use of University Name by Student Groups  

Per UNIREG 234, Revision 1 Paragraph 7

October 28, 2006

The use of the University of Wyoming name is specifically restricted.

a. Only an organization that is sponsored by a unit of the University or is itself a unit of the University (e.g., ASUW) may use the name of the University or abbreviation thereof as part of its own name. A recognized student organization may not use the name of the University or any abbreviation thereof as part of its own name; however, terms such as "campus" and "Wyoming" or "at the University of Wyoming" may be used by an organization as part of its identification to the public.

b. Events or activities sponsored by recognized student organizations shall not be advertised or promoted in such a way as to suggest that they are sponsored by the University or that the organization is acting in behalf of the University.

Examples of correct and incorrect uses of the University's name:

Acceptable -    Keepers of the Fire at the University of Wyoming

                        Wyoming Fellowship of Christian Athletes              

Unacceptable- University of Wyoming Keepers of the Fire

                        University of Wyoming Fellowship of Christian Athletes

Use of marks on products for fundraisers. 

Any product bearing the University's name or marks must be purchased from an authorized licensee of the University.  The University has more than 200 licensees nation wide and numerous in-state and locally licensed companies.  Students are encouraged to contact local licensees first to discuss their product needs. 

We aren't selling the product(s), do we still have to pay royalties?

Yes, regardless of the intended use of the products, they are subject to royalties.  Only those items used internally by the University are exempt from royalties. 

Royalties - comparing apples to apples.

When inquiring with a vendor about pricing, student groups are encouraged to always ask if the quoted price includes royalties.  Some licensees build the cost of royalties into the selling price of the item, whereas some simply add the cost on during final invoicing.  By asking this question upfront, you can be assured you are comparing apples to apples.  

Why must we use an approved licensed vendor? 

As a trademark owner, the University has the obligation to monitor and manage the use of its marks.  By licensing vendors to produce products bearing its marks, the University is able to ensure that all uses of its name and marks are appropriate and positively represent the University. 

What type of designs will be disapproved?

The Trademark Licensing Office will not approve any design that bears its marks that is distasteful or doesn't positively represent the University.  If our staff doesn't understand the verbiage being used or the design submitted, it will be disapproved and further clarification requested. 

Share This Page:

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Twitter Icon Youtube Icon Instagram Icon Vimeo Icon Facebook Icon

Accreditation | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Gainfull Employment | Privacy Policy | Accessibility Accessibility information icon