Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply to the University of Wyoming

Global Resource Navigation

Give to UW
Download UW Viewbook
Visit Campus
Trademark Licensing Home

Contact Us

UW Trademark Licensing

Dept. 3322

1000 E. University Ave.

Wyoming Hall,

Room 356 and 352

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: (307) 766-6927

Fax: (307) 766-4049


Phone: (307) 766-5646

Trademark Licensing

Licensees FAQ  

Licensee Requirements FAQ

Licensees should always refer to the licensing agreement for specific language and all terms and conditions in which they must adhere to.  This section of the website does not replace or supersede the licensing agreement and is not intended to be an exhaustive list of requirements, but is provided as a friendly reminder on select items.

Why Have A Licensing Program

To protect the name and identifying insignia associated with the University of Wyoming and the State of Wyoming. It also creates an opportunity to work cooperatively with vendors wishing to use the State and University's marks.

Adding New Products

I am now producing new products that were not included on my original licensing agreement that I would like to apply licensed marks to.

How do I add these new products?

Send the Trademark Licensing Office samples of these new products showing how the licensed marks would be applied. If approved, we will add the item(s) to your licensing agreement and send an updated copy for your records.

Alternate colors

Do I have to use the official colors of the University of Wyoming?

While it will always be the preference of the University that its official colors be used on licensed products, licensees are provided the flexibility to design and use products that do not necessarily incorporate the official colors of the University. Please remember to always submit your design to the Trademark Licensing Office for approval.

Donating products

Do I still have to pay royalties if I am donating my product?

Yes, royalties still need to be paid on products bearing licensed marks.


Are there royalty exemptions?

Licensed products bearing University marks sold, invoiced or otherwise provided directly to the University of Wyoming Athletic Department, for the purposes of internal use and not intended for or used for resale purposes and/or promotional use shall be exempt from the collection and submission of royalties by licensees.

Licensed products bearing the State of Wyoming's marks sold, invoiced or otherwise provided directly to any department of the State of Wyoming, for the purpose of its internal use and not intended for or used for resale purposes or promotional giveaways, shall be exempt from the collection and submission of royalties.

Rivalry Designs

Can I produce products with other collegiate institutions marks for rivalry tee shirts, etc?

You are encouraged to contact the Trademark Licensing Office before starting any rivalry design to discuss specifics and any potential issues. There are some universities that do not allow rivalry designs.

Sales tax

Do I charge sales tax on royalties?

Please direct this question to the Wyoming Department of Revenue.

Types of products

What types of products need to be licensed?

All product ideas submitted will be considered by the Trademark Licensing Office. However, no product will be permitted for use without the consent of the Trademark Licensing Office.

Unapproved Products

What kinds of products will not be approved?

The Trademark Licensing Office will not license products that are judged not to be in good taste or are judged to be dangerous or carry high product liability risks. The Trademark Licensing Office also reserves the right to prohibit other uses that are deemed inappropriate and inconsistent with the image and mission of the University and/or the State of Wyoming.

The University and State of Wyoming has a specific policy regarding the use of marks on alcohol and alcohol related products. Please contact the Trademark Licensing Office for details.   

Filing a Trademark Registration

How do I register my own trademark?

Here are two useful websites with additional information on obtaining a trademark registration.

United States Patent and Trademark Office

Wyoming Secretary of State

Share This Page:

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Twitter Icon Youtube Icon Instagram Icon Vimeo Icon Facebook Icon

Accreditation | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Gainful Employment | Privacy Policy | Accessibility Accessibility information icon