Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply to the University of Wyoming apply now

Global Resource Navigation

Visit Campus
Download UW Viewbook
Give to UW

UW Police Department

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When can I get fingerprints done?

Currently fingerprint hours are Tuesday and Wednesdays between 11:30am to 12:30pm and 4:30pm to 5:30pm.  Fingerprints cost $5 per card either with cash or a check. 


Q: Do you provide fingerprint cards?

No, the entity requiring the fingerprints should supply a fingerprint card to you.


Q: Do I have to make an appointment to get fingerprints done?

No, come anytime during our fingerprint hours. 


Q: When can I get a VIN check done?

Currently VIN inspection hours are Tuesday and Wednesdays between 11:30am to 12:30pm and 4:30pm to 5:30pm.  VIN inspections cost $10 either with a cash or check.   


Q: How do I register my bicycle?

Bicycles needing to be registered must be brought to the police department (1426 E Flint St).  There is a one-time $5 fee (check or cash only) to register bikes.  Our staff will gather your contact information and all unique information from the bike.  Your bike is then given a registration sticker and all information is entered into our secure database. 


Q: Do I have to register my bicycle?

Yes, all bikes ridden or parked on campus must be registered with the UW Police Department per University Regulations and City Ordinances.  However the most pertinent reason is theft recovery.  When you register your bike the information gathered can be entered into a national database where pawn shops and other law enforcement agencies have access. 


Q: Does the UW Police Department store weapons for students?

Yes, the UW Police Department stores weapons for students that currently live on campus.  Students may store 3 weapons plus 1 bow.  A valid WyoOne ID and the weapon itself are needed to check in.  Currently the UW Police Department cannot store gun cases or ammunition.  Weapons can be picked up anytime at our location . 


Q: How do I obtain a copy of my police report?

You must fill out a records request form which can be found here or fill one out in person at our location.  The cost is $0.25 per page for reports picked up in person.  For reports sent by mail $2.00 plus a self-addressed envelope and the request form must be sent to our department.  Per Wyoming State Statute records can only be released once all court proceedings have been finalized.  All report requests are subjected to review by the UW Legal department and can take 7-10 business days for release. 


Q: How do I sign up for UW Alert?

You can sign up for UW Alert here

Q: Can I report a crime anonymously?

Yes, the UW Police Department has two options for individuals to submit anonymous tips.  The first is via text message using Tip411/Citizen Observer.  You can submit an anonymous text message by texting UWYO and your message to 847411 (Tips411).  The other method is using our Silent Witness form using your Internet browser.  Both methods are anonymous.  However if you have an emergency please dial 911 or call the UW Police Department at (307) 766-5179.  


Q: Where can I pay my traffic citation?

For citations issued out of the Laramie Municipal Court payments can be made in person at the Municipal Courthouse or online.  For citations issued out of the Albany County Circuit Court payments can be made at the Albany County Courthouse at the Circuit Court desk.   


Q: Where can I pay my parking citation?

For UW parking citations payments can be made with the Transit and Parking departmentFor parking citations out of Municipal Court payments can be made at the Municipal Courthouse or online


Q: Are you the real police?

Yes. The UW Police Department is a full-service law enforcement agency. Officers are duly sworn, and have full authority on all University and State-owned property, as well as the City of Laramie and County of Albany.


Q: How do I get a job with the police department?

The UW Police Department routinely hires for many positions, including student and non-student hourly as well as sworn and non-sworn positions. Openings are announced on the HR hiring website


Q: What do I do if I get in a car accident?

Wyoming state law requires that ALL motor vehicle accidents (including those involving bicycles) be reported immediately to the proper law enforcement authorities.   Please call the UW Police Department at (307) 766-5179 immediately to report a vehicle accident.


Q: How do I report a sexual assault or similar crimes?

The UW Police Department recognizes that there are several different factors that influence the reporting of these types of incidents. We encourage all members of our community to report crimes immediately by calling 911 or the non-emergency number at (307) 766-5179, but you can always report confidentially and we will assist you by explaining the process, so you can evaluate your options.

You can also contact the UW STOP Violence Program to access other resources or if you need assistance in coming forward. Additionally, the Albany County Safe Project are always available to assist.


Q: Where can I ride my bicycle on campus?

Bicycles can be ridden on all campus property.  Bicyclists are reminded to obey all dismount zones located primarily on Prexy’s Pasture and by the Residence Halls.  A full map of bike paths and dismount zones can be found here


Q: What motorized transportation options can I personally use on campus? 

Any personal transportation device with a motor is not allowed to be ridden on campus.  This includes motorized scooters, Segways, and Hoverboards. 


Q: Where can I park on campus?

Transit and Parking Services is a separate department from the UW Police Department.  For all parking questions please call Parking Services at (307) 766-9800 or refer to their website


Q: Can I carry a taser, pepper spray, or a knife on campus to protect myself?

UW regulations state students/staff/faculty can carry pepper spray under 1oz and a knife with a blade under 3 inches.  Tasers, firearms, or other items are prohibited from being carried on campus. 


Q: When is the next Lost and Found Auction?

Our annual property auction is usually held in the first week in September.  Please check our website or Facebook page to updates on our next auction date. 


Q: How do I protect my laptop or other mobile devices? 

Always take steps to ensure you never leave your property unattended.  Routinely back up your important data and record your device serial number in a separate location.  For further information UW Information Technology has created a website for tips on protecting your laptop and other mobile devices. 

Q: D seems to make a lot of arrests and write a lot tickets for alcohol issues. Why is that?

86.3% of Wyoming residents surveyed listed alcohol use by youth under the age of 21 as a serious or somewhat serious problem.

94.6% of Wyoming residents surveyed believe "Local Law Enforcement should strongly enforce laws regulating alcohol use by youth under the age of 21."

93.9% of Wyoming residents surveyed believe "Adults who supply alcohol to youth under the age of 21 should be prosecuted."

71% of Wyoming residents surveyed believe that binge drinking on college campuses is a serious or somewhat serious problem.

86.8% of Wyoming residents surveyed believe that drinking and driving is a serious or somewhat serious problem.

Source: Wyoming Survey and Analysis Center, "Wyoming Alcohol Issues Survey", 2006

Alcohol was a contributing factor in 85.58% of all arrests in Albany County from 2009-2010

Alcohol was a factor in 85.51% of all arrests by UWPD in 2009-2010

Source: Wyoming Association of Sheriffs and Chiefs of Police, "Alcohol and Crime in Wyoming", 2010


Click HERE to learn more about the effects of underage drinking in Wyoming



Share This Page:

Contact Us

Police Department

University of Wyoming

1000 E. University Ave. Dept. 3124

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: 307-766-5179


Find us on Facebook (Link opens a new window) Find us on Twitter (Link opens a new window)

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Twitter Icon Youtube Icon Instagram Icon Facebook Icon

Accreditation | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Gainful Employment | Privacy Policy | Accessibility Accessibility information icon