Department Graduate Students - Applying
Our department does not typically take graduate students without them first making contact with a professor in the department and having a project identified with a reasonable funding source. Below you will find the official application process. Prior to officially applying to the University of Wyoming we encourage interested students to send an unofficial packet with unofficial transcripts/test scores (as a single PDF document) to our department so we can circulate to faculty with potential projects that may be of interest.
An application includes:
- Online Graduate Student Resources application. Please do this first. You will find the application and other information about the university's graduate program at: http://www.uwyo.edu/admissions/graduate/
- GPA. We require a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0, however it is highly recommended that students have a GPA of 3.25 or higher.
- Transcripts. The veterinary sciences department is happy to review unofficial transcripts during the selection process, but if you are accepted for admission, you must arrange to have official transcripts sent to the UW Admissions Office. Transcripts not in English must be translated by the issuing university or by a commercial translation service. Please see the Admissions Office's Website for more information: http://www.uwyo.edu/admissions/graduate/international.html
- GRE scores. The department has the same requirements for graduate student admission as the University of Wyoming: GRE - 900 (291 on the new exam) total (Masters), 1000 (297) total (PhD). However, we strongly recommend students have stronger GRE scores 500 (153) verbal, 620 (149) quantitative, 1120 (302) total using the best composite scores. Please have the Educational Testing Service (ETS) mail your scores to the University of Wyoming, Code 4855.
- TOEFL scores. For international students only. English proficiency is given serious consideration, especially for students requesting teaching assistantships. The minimum requirement is a composite score of 76 on the Internet-based exam (iBT) or 600 on the written exam. Please have ETS mail official copies of your TOEFL scores to the University of Wyoming, code 4855.
We also accept an official IELTS score of 6.0 or above.
- Three letters of recommendation. Domestic students should have their recommenders mail their letters to the Veterinary Sciences Department at the address below. International student may have their recommenders send their letters as e-mail attachments to email@example.com.
- CV/Letter of intent/Career goals. This is your opportunity to talk about your accomplishments and goals-so don't be shy. Discuss your research interests, personal history, and any awards or publications to your credit. Also address whether you need a graduate assistantship. Mail your statement of purpose to the veterinary sciences department or send it to firstname.lastname@example.org as an e-mail attachment.
- International students who do not need financial support must complete a Confidential Financial Statement. International students who are already studying in the U.S. must complete the International Student Advisor Report.
These forms are available at: http://www.uwyo.edu/admissions/graduate/international.html
It's a lot of work, we know! We appreciate your taking the time and expense to apply to our program. If you have any questions about our department or the application process, please feel free to contact our graduate coordinator, Dr. Brant Schumaker or our departmental accountant, Ms. Marjorie Jaeger. They would be glad to help you.