Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply to the University of Wyoming apply now

Global Resource Navigation

Visit Campus
Download UW Viewbook
Give to UW

Department of Veterinary Sciences

College of Agriculture and Natural Resources

Department Graduate Students - Other Policies

Other Veterinary Sciences Policies and Procedures

Copy and fax machines are for Veterinary Sciences department business only; they are not for any student's classwork or personal use. Use of University mail services or long-distance phone calls for personal matters is prohibited. Use of office staff or equipment for work related to degree plans, proposals, dissertations, theses, or professional papers is also prohibited. Students are responsible for familiarizing themselves with rules pertaining to use of University vehicles and equipment. Personal use of University vehicles is prohibited and is a violation of State law.

All faculty, staff and graduate students have assigned mailboxes. If you are going to be out of town for several days, please arrange for someone to retrieve the mail from your box and store it. If you will be gone for an extended time period, please leave a forwarding address with your advisor and the office staff in the front office so that your mail can be sent on to you. In general, you should always let your major professor know your schedule and where you will be.

Parking regulations are strictly enforced on campus. Failure to pay fines result in registration blocks, denial of permission to conduct the preliminary exam and defense, and withholding of transcripts and diplomas. Please familiarize yourself with current rules and protocol, or else make sure you are not caught.


Graduate students are required to maintain a 3.0 GPA or better. A student who falls below a 3.0 GPA has ONE semester to reestablish a satisfactory GPA or face loss of assistantship funding and dismissal from the department. Once accepted, a student is allowed ONE probationary semester.

Although a 3.0 GPA is the criterion for retention, progress toward a degree and commensurate academic accomplishments are expected. If a student earns a D, F, or U in a course on their degree plan, the class or course must be repeated and a C (or better) or S achieved. A committee may write a provision into the Program of Study that certain classes require at least a B (i.e., courses that are so important to the degree that at least a B level of mastery is required).

Minimum Registration

All graduate students are required to maintain continuous registration (even those without assistantships) until they complete all requirements for graduation, unless a specific leave of absence is granted to a student in writing by the Department Head. The department requires graduate students to be enrolled for a minimum of 1 credit hour each fall and spring semester. Any condition that requires a higher minimum registration would supersede this minimum registration standard. Graduate students with University of Wyoming teaching or research assistantships must be registered for 9 hours during the fall and spring semesters unless:

  • They have a program of study on file AND
  • 90% of their coursework is complete AND
  • They are working full time on their thesis.

Additional requirements for students with loans, fellowships and visas may exist.

If a graduate student holding a graduate assistantship drops some courses which result in the student being registered for less than the required minimum number of hours (i.e., 9 hours in Fall and Spring semesters), the student shall not be required to add additional hours to replace the dropped hours provided the student drops after the 12th class day. Such students could maintain their graduate assistant position with a memo supporting the drop signed by the department head. Please consider these and other possible implications (e.g., some insurance programs have special enrollment considerations) when attempting to drop below the minimum hour requirements for full-time classification.

Foreign nationals should be aware that less than full-time during the spring and fall semesters may cause problems with some types of student visa requirements. Foreign nationals should be certain to never allow the time indicated on their IAP-66 or I-20 to lapse! It is usually a fairly straightforward procedure (working with International Student Services) to get the time period indicated on the form to be extended if the paperwork is started months before the time period expires. It may be difficult to get the forms re-issued if the time period has expired.

Time Limits

Master's students have 6 calendar years to complete their degree from the beginning of the first course taken that is listed in the Program of Study. Doctoral candidates have 4 calendar years after successful completion of their preliminary examination to complete their degree.

A student has one calendar year after the final oral exam to submit the thesis or dissertation.


All graduate students with a major professor affiliated with the department provide a measure of service outside of their graduate project during the academic year. This service may be any significant and meaningful assignment, task, opportunity, or experience or combination of experiences that the mentor deems worthy, which serves both the student and some common good (department, program, mentor, peers/undergraduate students, college, university, state, or society). Examples that would satisfy this requirement could include but are not limited to the following: teaching, diagnostic service, mentoring undergraduates, contributing to other graduate student research projects, upward bound, women in science, etc. In addition, departmental graduate students are expected to embody a spirit of collegiality and to participate in and help to coordinate departmental functions, social events, and team building activities. 

Presentation Requirements

All graduate students with a major professor affiliated with the department will make a presentation on their research progress to the faculty and staff of the department during a noon-time seminar. This will occur on at least an annual basis.

Participation in Professional Meetings

The Department of Veterinary Sciences encourages students to attend local, regional and national professional meetings to present their research papers. It will assist when it can afford it to defray part of the costs of attending these meetings. Please make your case to the head of the Department if you wish to secure departmental funds to attend a professional meeting.

Graduate Student Assistantships

Graduate student assistantships are distributed to students based on a peer-reviewed process that assesses the graduate project, the need for assistance, and the likelihood of future funding to support the student. Applications for this assistance are due by March 1st for the following Fall semester or September 1st for the following Spring semester. The graduate student committee reviews the applications and makes recommendations to the department head who then approves the allocation of assistance.

Share This Page:

Contact Us

Dept. of Veterinary Sciences

University of Wyoming

1174 Snowy Range Road

Laramie, WY 82070

Phone: (307) 766-5059

Fax: (307) 721-2051


Find us on Facebook (Link opens a new window)

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Twitter Icon Youtube Icon Instagram Icon Facebook Icon

Accreditation | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Gainful Employment | Privacy Policy | Accessibility Accessibility information icon